The Sewing Place

Using a woven/stable knit fabric for one piece footie pajamas?

tumblina

My daughter has picked out a fuzzy-backed stable knit printed with slippers and she wants one piece footed pajamas out of it. I have a pattern but it's sized for knits. I've also got some flannel for future pajamas. Am I ok going up a size and maybe adding 1" to the length? She is 4 years old.

BrendaP

Re: Using a woven/stable knit fabric for one piece footie pajamas?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 18:09:52 PM »
It should be OK to use a woven fabric with a pattern intended for knits for two piece pyjamas.  Nightwear is often generous in the width.  Depending on her build you might, or might not need to go up a size. 

For one piece pyjamas you need to make sure that the body is long enough for her to move around in.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 21:34:08 PM »
I would probably add that extra inch in length, maybe even one and a half.. I'd also suggest pre-washing the flannel and tumble drying it, both on high, 2-3 times to get the shrink out of the way. If the stable knit has any cotton content I'd do the same, but always at least once before cutting. You do not want a onesie.

Maybe take a tape measure to her, neck to crotch and also the pattern to compare. If she side sleeps and likes to curl up a bit that takes up extra fabric which is why these things are usually knit for more give if the child is a little contortionist.  0_0
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

tumblina

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 20:04:03 PM »
Thanks all! I took one that presently fits to compare... and noticed the fleece it is made of has no vertical stretch. And then looked closer at the pattern and noticed it didn't ask for 4-way stretch. It's a Simplicity pattern which matter-of-factly printed on the tissue that there is 8.5" of ease at the waist  ><. So I put loads on the lengthen/shorten lines and cut out a 4T (1 size smaller) with the equivalent length of a 6 - it'll be wider and longer than the fleece one she has now, so fingers crossed! I'll probably find I can drop down to a 3T really...