The Sewing Place

Getting rid of that "charity shop smell"

Vezelay

Getting rid of that "charity shop smell"
« on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
I sometimes find interesting fabric in car boot sales or charity shops but it always has that smell - you know the one that doesn't go away when they're washed and line dried. It's impossible to define - not stinky or offensive, just not very nice. DH says he doesn't notice it but I certainly do. It does seem to diminish with time but I'd rather not wait!

I've tried adding vinegar + sodium bicarb to the fabric conditioner drawer of the machine but that did nothing. I'd rather not handwash them (with vinegar) - that's a chore too far. And there isn't a wardrobe in the house where I could hang them for a week or two with a saucer of bicarb. Has anyone here had any success with this? If so please share.

Surest1tch

Re: Getting rid of that "charity shop smell"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:46:51 AM »
Have you tried using Unstoppables, I use them on my dogs beds and it does get rid of/hide that doggy smell that usually lingers, especially when he's been wet.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
Have you tried Febreze? Otherwise it does go eventually with repeated washing and wearing. I have some fabric that spent my non-sewing years in the attic, which has a distinctive whiff.

Fiona M

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
I bought a secondhand book once, that absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke.  Absolutely disgusting!  I did some googling and found a recommendation to put it in a box, cover with ground coffee, seal up and leave for a week or two.  I did, and it worked, but I found a cleaner copy of the book not long afterwards and ditched the dirty one.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 13:30:32 PM »
Thanks. I've only ever seen the Fabreze air freshener, didn't know the fabric stuff existed. There seems to be one you spray on (?) and another for in the wash - so will keep my eye open for that and for Unstoppables. Not sure about the coffee in a box  -<  :)

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 14:26:33 PM »
The spray-on Febreze is the one I meant. It's the original version that students use instead of washing their clothes - allegedly.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 14:29:56 PM »
If you have a disposable BBQ kicking about, pop your honky thing in a polythene bag with it for a couple of days. The charcoal will/should absorb the smell. That saved my freezer from the skip when the power went off while I was away and came home to very green, very slimy, very very stinky stuff.  :x
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

arrow

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 15:05:31 PM »
Smells shouldn't be a problem. A good wash, maybe even a second vinegar / citric acid wash should be enough (not only in the last rinse). Some powders are better than others, powders are usually better than liquid detergents, a long washing cycle is better than a short. If you use a gentle washing cycle, pause the machine when it has reached intended temperature, and start again after an hour or two. Use a cycle with maximum water levels.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 16:10:20 PM »
I have a big bottle of in-wash disinfectant from Tescos. It's designed to kill any bacteria that remain after a low temperature wash. It goes in the final rinse and everything comes out smelling really fresh.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 16:29:11 PM »
If the smell is caused by bacteria, then popping it in the freezer should sort it, possibly worth a try?

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 16:55:33 PM »
I honestly doubt it's bacteria or fungi, and on reflection I'm not keen on the idea of adding more chemicals. We use Ecover non-bio as we both have sensitive skin and do shorter low temp washes for environmental reasons. I wondered if there was something I could put in the tumble dryer - on cold/low I mean with the clothes already line-dried. That rings a vague bell.

Otherwise I think my default could be to cut off the usable fabric, soak it in a bucket with vinegar and bicarb overnight then wash the next day with more vinegar in the machine. It puts you off buying second hand clothes (for fabric) though - all that faff. Nothing else in my house smells like that, even stuff that's sat in a drawer for aeons.

In any case all your kind suggestions will be carefully considered. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 17:20:46 PM by Vezelay »

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 17:36:05 PM »
Use either vinegar OR bicarb. Not both as they cancel each other out.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 18:46:35 PM »
I do well using tea tree oil in the wash. Depending on the load size and stench level 5 to 15 drops. I then wash on hot and do a double rinse. I know that's less environmentally friendly but it's a one time thing. I use my regular amount of laundry soap and a handful of baking soda.

Sealed in a box with charcoal works well for a lot of things or a dish full left overnight in a stinky microwave. OH likes to cook artichokes with garlic cloves and it permeates everywhere.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gemma

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 20:07:11 PM »
I wonder if eco egg would do it? I've never tried it on charity shop fabric (never found any!) but it gets potty training accident smells out of my little boys clothing which take 2 or 3 washes with fairy.
It's also cheaper than washing liquid and good for sensitive skin :)

arrow

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 20:09:31 PM »
...We use Ecover non-bio as we both have sensitive skin and do shorter low temp washes for environmental reasons...

The clever thing is to use low temperature long cycles, it spends negligible more energy. The most energy saving cycles take more time. The water is heated the same either way. I don't think the smell in used colthing is cause by bacteria either. The shops here have everything they sell dry-cleaned as a guarantee from the seller. I should look among the clothing more often, I haven't bought any I think. I bought two old arm chairs last week and a table cloth :- )