The Sewing Place

Getting rid of that "charity shop smell"

Vezelay

Re: Getting rid of that "charity shop smell"
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 20:44:32 PM »
I'm learning things here that I should already know  :|.

Use either vinegar OR bicarb. Not both as they cancel each other out.

@wrenkins I think you must be right - chemically that makes sense. Following advice from that fount of all knowledge Youtube, I used the mixture successfully to clean gunk off an iron (yes indeed - I pressed the wrong side of fusible interfacing). In future I will choose one or the other.

@Renegade Sewist tea tree oil + bicarb sounds a good option. Useful stuff to have in anyway.

@Gemma I never heard of Eco egg - it sounds fascinating if a little on the expensive side. Good reviews on Amazon anyway.

The clever thing is to use low temperature long cycles, it spends negligible more energy. The most energy saving cycles take more time. The water is heated the same either way.
@arrow that's a really good point about the energy load from a longer low temp cycle. We've had our washing machine must be 15 years and the other day I had to look at the instructions to check which was the fabric conditioner compartment  >< :| when I noticed that the energy consumption was about the same for the short 40deg and the long 30deg. That info is hidden away there so thanks for reminding me. No excuse now  :)

My latest haul came from a car boot sale on Saturday and does not count as fabric shopping. It's recycling of course  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 20:50:15 PM by Vezelay »