The Sewing Place

Clover fork pins

annieg

Clover fork pins
« on: August 20, 2018, 16:00:21 PM »
Hi,
Has anyone any knowledge of this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clover-240-Fork-Pins/dp/B000PD0FRA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8
I'm wondering if they'll be useful for pinning pattern pieces to slippery fabrics?
annieg

Mozzy

Re: Clover fork pins
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 16:19:42 PM »
Yes, I've got some and I think they're the bees' knees.  They were recommended on a Craftsy course, for plaids and stripes matching, but are useful for all sorts of fabrics.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 22:43:40 PM »
I've looked at these before and wondered if they'd be useful. Having done a bit of matching stripes recently I can see they'd have been ideal for that. I think it's going to be another little suggestion for the Christmas stocking list.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Hachi

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »
Yup, I bought those after watching Susan Khalje's Craftsy couse some years ago  :D

The pins are intended and recommended for matching seams (and stripes/plaids for garment sewers). You put the particular seam or stripe that you want to match in between the two prongs of the pin so that pin firmly holds the fabric at the particular point better than a single pin.

So, I don't know if the fork pins actually work better than the regular pins when it comes to pinning pattern pieces to slippery fabric. I'm a weight-and-rotary-cutter person so rarely pin patterns to fabric! However, because the end of the pins (the U-shaped part) are bent upward, I can see it is easier to push it in through the fabric on a flat surface like when you pin pattern pieces to fabric.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
I have some too.  As the others have said, they're brilliant for matching stripes.  Nice and sharp too (at least at the moment, won't be long until I bend them out of shape and/or dull them.  Am so clumsy).