The Sewing Place

Seamstress sought to alter/adapt wedding dress

Louweasel

Seamstress sought to alter/adapt wedding dress
« on: August 20, 2018, 21:19:33 PM »
My friend is getting married on NYE and seeks an alteration to her wedding dress - I think it’s a bit beyond my skill and a professional seamstress is needed.
It is to add a pair of off-the-shoulder sleeves to a currently strapless bodice (the bodice is beaded and the skirt is plain silk mikado) I can give further details and she has photos of the sort of thing she’s after.
She’s in London/south east - lives near twickenham, works in central London, has family near Watford. So something in that sort of area she could get to.
No other alterations would be needed - the dress is from a bridal boutique and has already arrived and been fitted/hemmed so it’s in her possession to do with as she likes. The boutique just can’t add the sleeves she wants.
Can anyone help or recommend someone? Most grateful!

mammafairy

Re: Seamstress sought to alter/adapt wedding dress
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 17:06:58 PM »
How about having a small bolero made to give the sleeves, rather than adding them to the dress. . People might find that simpler without the worry of damaging the actual dress. It would also have the benefit that if the fabric is a bit different it won't look as wrong? She could also incorporate the bridesmaid colours into it a bit if she wanted?

It may be quite simple to add sleeves, if you think elastic in a hem round the top edge, which may be adjusted to give on or off the shoulder as preferred, but if she wants very slick tailored sleeves that is a bit more tricky.

Just some 'insta-thoughts'

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 16:01:24 PM »
I can't remember where I saw it, sorry but you can get something that looks like a pair of sleeves but done in one piece that you wear under a sleeveless garment. I'm sure someone will know what I'm talking about, if anyone can find a link for you I'm sure you could copy it as it looked fairly simple.

I managed to find this, which is a similar thing, the one I saw was made old lace though.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QA-Womens-Modal-Cotton-Muslim-Hijab-Islamic-Shoulder-Long-Sleeve-Arm-Cover-L/132720159292?hash=item1ee6bcea3c:m:mF01Vb8Bbye1n_x4tfnQvvA
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:19:52 AM by Surest1tch »

Louweasel

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
Hi, sorry it’s taken me ages to reply - so busy! Thanks for your suggestions but she’s really looking for something off the shoulder (like this? https://goo.gl/images/3MS7j4 ) so a bolero or the sleeve arrangement in the eBay example aren’t quite the thing. As she puts it, she’s fine with her shoulders showing; it’s her upper arms she wants to cover. I’m not skilled enough to do this so she’s looking for a professional - fortunately I got a suggestion elsewhere and she found another possibility too so hopefully she can get what she’d like!