The Sewing Place

Help mechanism needed!!!

Tallulah57

Help mechanism needed!!!
« on: August 21, 2018, 21:12:13 PM »
Not sure if anyone can help but here goes.  I am hoping to make a cushion that vibrates when you put your feet on it and when placed behind the back. I need some sort of motor that can be placed inside a cutout in the foam I am planning to use. I've tried ever connotation of the phrase 'vibrating mechanism' that I can think of when searching the internet with some very dodgy websites being returned!!! I need something that will also allow me to change the batteries.  The mechanisms I've bought off the internet, which I thought may have been of use, are far to small and not suitable at all.
I know just how resourceful you ladies can be, so can anyone help?
Thanks in advance xx

Tallulah57

Re: Help mechanism needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 21:39:38 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I did think of that but I was hoping to sell some if they worked out.

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 22:08:41 PM »
@Tallulah57 Do you mean vibrate like a mobile phone vibrates, I wonder if you know someone who could adapt it from a mobile phone?  Just a thought  :vintage:

Would this work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1100RPM-0-2A-Speed-Vibration-Motor/dp/B0087Y95X4
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 22:12:06 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Tallulah57

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 22:14:16 PM »
Hi Lilian, thank you for replying, I think it needs to be a lot more powerful to be able to feel the vibration through the foam, but good suggestion.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 22:17:37 PM »
Hi Lilian, thank you for replying, I think it needs to be a lot more powerful to be able to feel the vibration through the foam, but good suggestion.

I know what you mean, but if my phone is on the arm of the settee when it vibrates I feel it all over.  You may find a largr one.  Good luck  :vintage:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 22:21:18 PM by Lilian »

Lilian

Mr Twingo

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
I know just how resourceful you ladies can be, so can anyone help?

Would you mind if a male made a suggestion?  :D :D :D

@Lilian is on the right track, but an RS 555 motor would be better.

Better still, is the 775 motor, but I can't find one ready made to vibrate.

A couple of questions:
• How do you intend to trigger the motor?
• Do you intend to have a speed control?
• What will your power source be?

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
Just get something like one of these - rechargeable battery, different speed settings and make a padded cover to put around it.
This is a comparatively inexpensive one - there are any number of brands and models across all price bands.

Sometimes I go to a Trigger Pilates class that uses this sort of thing.

Tallulah57

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:13:01 AM »
Good morning,  I looked at that but I need something that is encompassed in a plastic case which is easily accessible to change batteries.  I think I'm looking for the impossible to be honest, I've asked friends and family to help also and they can't come up with anything suitable either -< :(

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 10:05:06 AM »
I'm probably a long way off the mark here but have you considered buying one, carefully taking it apart and finding out how they are constructed and with what parts. It might give you some idea of what you need to buy to make them.

arrow

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 14:17:21 PM »
There are massage pillows with a sort of roller action more than vibration. They get good reviews among small and portable items. They come in various shapes and forms, for chairs and car seats.

I don't know how pratcial it is to rip them appart and make some to suit your purpose, but they aren't too expensive for experimenation.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 19:04:38 PM »
I have a Homedics shiatsu massager:

https://www.homedics.co.uk/massagers.html

It was great to start with but after a while I had endless trouble with it because the massage doo-dads inside (plastic mushroom-shaped thingies) abraded the fabric.  I tried recovering it with 100,000 Martindale standard fabric but found that unless the fabric is both very, very slippery and fairly stiff the mushroomy things pull on it and get tangled up, so it's now out of use, which is a pity.  Instead I use a foam roller on the floor when my back gets stiff.  Just like this:

https://www.crossfitoakland.com/fun-with-foam-rollers/

Things that buzz at mains frequency are no use for deep massage because the wave amplitude isn't large enough to penetrate (I think).  They're not much use for shallow massage either, come to that - they rattle one's bones and give me a headache.

Embedding the mechanism in foam will completely defeat the purpose, I think, because it will even further attenuate the vibrational amplitude and it will be like having a wasp stuck down the back of the chair!

s2

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 17:53:28 PM »
Hi @Tallulah57 i dont know if you have sorted this but you could consider a foot spa as these have a vibrating motor within them and can be bought from most charity shops for next to nothing Geoff

Tallulah57

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 18:43:09 PM »
Hi Geoff, thank you for taking the time to respond, what a good idea, I will look into it. thank you xx