The Sewing Place

I want to 'improve Style 4824

b15erk

I want to 'improve Style 4824
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
I've re-made this pattern which I've had from the 80's, and I still love it.  I'd like to make it as a shirt dress, but it does have some flaws.

It is on a yoke, with the front facing meeting at centre back.  Because front and back are all in one, the centre back join is on show, as is the back join to the yoke, and the pretty gathered detail at the front.

I want to split the front and back, so that I can face the back yoke, and get a neater finish at the gathered front.

Is this possible guys?  If so, do you think it's as simple as cutting across the front yoke, and adding s/a's?

The second pic, shows the mess I would like to tidy up.

Jessie

Wondering if it's worth a toile?
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

Re: I want to 'improve Style 4824
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »
Hard to tell from that one picture.  The CB seam may be to give better shaping on the back neck, avoiding darts.  I'm surprised that the collar seam is left exposed, you'd normally turn that edge under to neaten it- can you simply make a double yoke and burrito it before attaching the collar?
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »
Thanks for the input DF.  The CB seam just joins the front and back facing, so no problem with that.  It's in the shoulder area, which has gathering on the front, where things are most fuzzy.  The back yoke, as pictured, has no lining piece, and one can't be added, because front and back are attached.

I'm going to dig some horrid fabric out later, and try out a toile, separating the front and back - it will mean a neater finish if I do a burrito, just depends how the shoulder sits.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
Well, I re-drew my pattern, and it works very well.  Because I now have a separate yoke, and front, Ive been able to do a burrito, and cover those two seams at the back, it now has a lovely clean finish at the back.

The facing/top collar is proving more tricky.  I just don't like how the cut out bit works on the facing, and I'm sure there must be a way to improve it.

Forgot to take pics of the toile, so that is for tomorrow as it's at home.  In the meantime I shall be researching 'shawl collars'.

Jessie