The Sewing Place

What size should I start with?

fajita

What size should I start with?
« on: March 19, 2017, 17:02:49 PM »
I'm wanting to have a go at making view C of V8772

Which size should I start with?  Larger and trim down, or smaller and grade up?

My sizes in pencil

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: What size should I start with?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 17:22:16 PM »
I'd pick the size that fits your bust then adjust the rest accordingly.  But then you've seen my user name haven't you?  ;)

I'm sure the more knowledgeable folks will be along soon to tell you the correct way  :D

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 17:28:29 PM »
You should choose by your overbust measurement, then do an FBA, which will do wonders for adding in extra at the waistline.  If you need more waist inches, you just grade out at waist and hip, following the different lines.  Toile first I'm afraid!
C'est moi!

fajita

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 17:32:19 PM »
Thankyou.
Over bust ahoy and away we go. Toilets are us! Or toiles if we ignore the auto-correct.
Wish me luck.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 17:07:31 PM »
Good luck, hope you have great success.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

fajita

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 22:37:10 PM »
Thanks. I've made a start using an old sheet.
This is the collar, second attempt :

And the body, just hand tacked on a dolly- but the turn back at centre front is on the wrong side, so work to do yet.

And the back looks a mess  8)

fajita

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
Ok, so far so adequate.im just off to play with getting an extra inch or so below below the horizontal pin. I'm guessing making those long darts at the front into short darts, but will read around the subject b4 doing anything.

fajita

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 14:41:24 PM »
Sooooo, I have taken on board DFs suggestions for pattern sizing, had a read and view of several of Morgan's informative posts, looked in my sewing books, and now know how little I know about what I am doing.

Regardless .... I've removed the long body darts which gave me the space in the belly I needed.

And I've increased the length of the bust darts to point to my own measurements ( to which dolly and I differ, I'm not as perky as she).

Presumably I now deconstruct my garment and redraw my measurements on the pattern?  More research here I come.

fajita

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 19:19:58 PM »
I have completed it.  There is a sense of accomplishment going on here!

Fabric was £4 for 2metres in a John Lewis sale. 100% cotton, so will crease like crazy.

And it fits over my belly.

https://flic.kr/p/S1mdnu

Swisslass

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 19:51:12 PM »
Well done, did you mark up your toile changes on the pattern? I'm a bit slack at this and usually find some cryptic note scribbled on the back of the packet when I get the pattern out again.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 21:47:19 PM »
Huzzah!
C'est moi!

fajita

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 21:51:36 PM »
Well done, did you mark up your toile changes on the pattern? I'm a bit slack at this and usually find some cryptic note scribbled on the back of the packet when I get the pattern out again.

I traced off my pattern pieces and marked those up with changes. As I'm mid-diet I expect to change my dimensions in due course, so no need to alter the original pattern just yet.

( I thought I'd posted this reply earlier, but it doesn't seem to be here. Apologies if it turns up randomly elsewhere).