The Sewing Place

Wedding dress alt - help!

crafter

Re: Wedding dress alt - help!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 23:42:36 PM »
I've made a lot of wedding dresses in my time and also had an offshoot business taking in alterations for a few bridal shops.  Making wedding dresses is absolutely divine.  Altering them is not.  I will never do another!  Because I am retired (huh), I usually do them for friends or neighbours as a Random Act of Kindness because I know my stuff and don't mind them benefiting from it.  However, the last two have been difficult.  This one was resolved fairly quickly once I found the answer.  The last one!  Well she bought a size 18 dress from ebay (she was at least a 22).  The only bit left of the original dress was the front, which became the centre front panel. The rest was completely new.  She said, Oh as you are cutting out a new back, can you add a train?  A complete remake!  Still she has become a good friend so all is forgiven.

Oh how I wish that more brides would have their dresses made. But nearly all seem to be made very cheaply in China (just like everything else) and then a bodge job to get them nearly fitting.  They are cheap dresses.  China makes a huge amount, relatively, and the shops make even more and the poor bride is non the wiser that she has just lined the pockets of greedy people taking advantage of them with inferior goods.

I would have charged about the same for the this dress, but it would probably been made in silk and would have fitted!  Rant over. 0_0

Greybird

Re: Wedding dress alt - help!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 19:12:17 PM »
When my daughter bought her wedding dress from a small shop, the one she wanted was a size 14 and she needed it altered to a size 8! It had a stand-up collar (think Snow Queen), long set in sleeves and tiny button fastenings down the back - can't quite remember how that worked with the collar. I looked at it and expressed disbelief that they would be able to do it. They assured us that it would be no trouble and sure enough it was done beautifully. My admiration for whoever had done it knew no bounds!