The Sewing Place

TSP Bear and his buddy's Festival of Quilts tour 2018

Iminei

TSP Bear and his buddy's Festival of Quilts tour 2018
« on: August 24, 2018, 16:13:06 PM »
The TSP Bear and his buddy's tour of FOQ 2018 ...

Just some of the over 1000 quilts exhibited during this years show .....

As ever, if no details are displayed in the white box to the right hand side of an individual pic, click on the I icon in the top right hand corner to bring it up!

Enjoy!!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:18:59 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

Re: Finally and I know its been a long time coming.....
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 17:49:59 PM »
Gosh, with everything that's happened since, I'd almost forgotten the FOQ. Thanks for taking the time and trouble @Iminei
I knew I shouldn't have gone......I now have the grandgirls here and have to take them back and drive back, all over the Bank Holiday weekend  :( The roads are already nose to tail, it's 13c and raining!! I would normally have them the week of FOQ... still at least I can remember some of the exhibits now Imi has jogged my memory
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 18:33:28 PM »
They're amazing, I really don't know how some of those art quilts are produced.  The one that really jumped out at me though is the relatively straightforward  purple / yellow pieced starburst on the navy background.  I would like to have produced that.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:12:23 AM by Iminei »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 20:14:19 PM »
I'm not keen on the Art Quilts, nor am I keen on applique quilts. I suppose I am a traditionalist and like easily defined blocks. I spent most time at the traditional and modern exhibits. I am not denegrading the others, they are works of art and I appreciate all that has gone into them...they are just not my cup of tea and marmite sarnie  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 21:07:01 PM »
I tend to like the art quilts best especially the Picasso like style one with the woman's face.  Regardless, there's a lot of  fabulous quilts there.  I can appreciate all the work that goes into them. 

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 21:20:04 PM »
Thank you @Iminei  for putting all those on for us to see. I'm sure I don't remember seeing some of those, and I know I  said the same last year.  0_0
You get so tired from all the walking around the halls that you just can't face turning that last corner to see what's there and you always miss some.

The Starburst one was especially lovely @Ploshkin  It's not showing up in Iminei's picture, but it sparkled beautifully under the lights.

My sister-in-law mocked me when I said I'd be going to the FoQ...she laughingly said she wouldn't want to go to see 'little squares of fabric sewn together'.
She hasn't got a clue has she?

Sandra.
xxx

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 21:39:27 PM »
Thank you for posting - there are some fabulous quilts there.  So much skill there, especially in the realistic faces and animals.

I've not had time to look properly, but I think my favourites are the modern geometric designs.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 22:26:26 PM »
Oh my, those are AMAZING! I think I should go to FOQ next year.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 23:31:32 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm exhausted just from looking at all of them online. Makes me feel almost like I was there. OH is at a Greek Festival picking up some overpriced "event" food right now and that should almost complete the experience.  :D

I started quilting proper about 11 years ago after I saw large photos of Ricky Tims Bohemian Rhapsody, an appliqued mandala from hand dyed fabric and and the same day works by Hollis Chatelain, mostly the Blue Men, which are whole clothe, hand painted and thread painting. This inspired me to take classes, because I wanted to do Art Quilts and wanted a better understanding of piecing, etc. What I wound up really liking to make are Improvisational modern quilts and utility quilts, with simple piecing and really simple quilting. I refer to my technique as "Stitch near the ditch". We'll never see my work in a show.

I like the opportunity that shows give to get a good look at work you would never do yourself and lots of quilts in colorways I would not choose.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 06:53:42 AM »
she laughingly said she wouldn't want to go to see 'little squares of fabric sewn together'.
She hasn't got a clue has she?

My mum thought much the same thing about quilting and patchwork until a 'guild' lady visited their ladies' group. She was blown away by the detail. ( She particularly liked the Border Collie.  ;)). She even got the guilder's name for me so that I could look her up.
Lesson:- Don't diss what you don't know!  :)
Those are fab and thanks for taking the time to post @Iminei
My favourites are many including that star. I'm amazed by the ones that used only the quilting stitching as shading. Especially the mandala style one with the year (1977?) in it. I don't like the pattern but that technique is fascinating :o
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:17:19 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
This one @Ploshkin  ???

It won Visitors Choice, so there must be something extra special woven into its fabric ... It certainly had something just a lil bit extra I must admit!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 07:42:28 AM »
Some very intricate work but none of them really floats my boat.

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
Yes, that's the one Iminei.  A simple variation on a classic pattern  but so effective.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »
I'm not interested in making a quilt myself but totally appreciate the vision and workmanship in these. I like the?art quilts? I assume that's the correct expression for them? because I don't have the imagination to create something so amazing. I wonder where the creators display them as the average home isn't big enough for these on the walls and it would be a crime not to display this work. Is there a permanent display somewhere?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Cheesecake

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
Thank you Iminei for posting so many pictures for us to see.  They’re stunning, so much work involved!