The Sewing Place

Which thingummyjig for threading elastic?

Bodgeitandscarper

Which thingummyjig for threading elastic?
« on: August 25, 2018, 13:56:32 PM »
This time I sewed the casing too narrow for one of my trusty 38-year-old nappy pins to thread the elastic through, so I looked for a threading tool - there are a few different types it seems, so any recommendations please peeps?

BrendaP

Re: Which thingummyjig for threading elastic?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 15:12:47 PM »
A smaller safety pin, or a large eyed, very blunt needle, which I call a bodkin; bottom of these three.  The other two are just threading gizmos and not what I think of as being a bodkin.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 15:16:52 PM »
Bodkin. If you can't thread your elastic through the eye then stitch it to the eye, but make sure the elastic is parallel to the bodkin.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

annieg

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 16:26:50 PM »
I have a set of "elastic threaders" by a company called Williams.  They're old - purchased at John Lewis many years ago ...
I found some on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123253623777
Hope this helps.
Annie

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 17:08:28 PM »
I have a metal thing - sorry I can't remember where I got it or when - it's made from a piece of metal folded in half with a wider, eye part at the fold end and the two tail pieces are held together at the ends with a sort of smooth stopper. When you thread the elastic through the eye you can pull it down between the two sides which then hold it firmly. It enables you to thread through quite narrow channels. Hope I've explained it well enough!

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 18:03:10 PM »
I have a metal thing - sorry I can't remember where I got it or when - it's made from a piece of metal folded in half with a wider, eye part at the fold end and the two tail pieces are held together at the ends with a sort of smooth stopper. When you thread the elastic through the eye you can pull it down between the two sides which then hold it firmly. It enables you to thread through quite narrow channels. Hope I've explained it well enough!
I have one of those (and no, I don't know what to call it either!) and also a large bodkin.  The large bodkin is my preferred method where possible.  I also use various sizes of safety pins.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Hachi

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 18:23:53 PM »
For a long time, I used a safety pin but I finally got a pinching style bodkin last year and I really like it. It's so much easier to thread than a safety pin. (Because of the ring that slides up and down to hold the pinching, it doesn't work for uber narrow channel)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 18:51:36 PM »
Many thanks for all the suggestions, I may try some of those plastic ones I think - thanks @annieg

Holly Berry

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »
I got one of the pinching bodkins free with some elastic. Best thing I’ve used so far for threading elastic.
Procrastination get behind me

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
I got one of the pinching bodkins free with some elastic. Best thing I’ve used so far for threading elastic.
*checks Amazon order*
Yup, I ordered one of those as well  :)

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 15:25:09 PM »
I've got one of those, inherited, now I know what it's for! I thought it was some sort of tweezer.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lizzy777

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2018/05/03/3-different-bodkins-choose-video

Quite good short article about use of 3 different bodkins with a video too.

:)

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 21:31:30 PM »
When anything comes up here about tools & notions I realise how many things I've bought and not used or upgraded them to another gadget I liked better. I blush at the money I've spent on all those items, even if they were all just a few quid at a time.  :| I don't even thread much elastic through casings as I prefer the sew on and fold under method for skirt elastics.

I've got the plastic ones but often 'forget' to use them, being too lazy to look for them when I need them (the large one doesn't fit in my little sewing tin) and end up using a safety pin! I think it's partly because the last I time I did use them I found the elastic rather unwilling to go through the slot. I have the long plastic type in the video and haven't ever used that because I forget I have it (what use am I?!!!) so if I do come across the pincher type I bet I'll succumb telling myself it will take different widths to push through (all those casings I rarely sew) and will be unable to resist the overwhelming argument that it'll fit easily into my little sewing tin so I should be able to find it because I'll see it every time I go in there. Sigh.

Btw, I have a double ended version of the ballpoint one (eyes each end, no ballpoint) and I use that regularly for weaving overlocked chains back through the seam. I keep that in my little wooden overlocker/chainstitch tool box so never lose it. I think it may have been recommended by someone here and, being significantly longer, I find it an improvement on the large tapestry needle I used previously. No embarrassment there at least.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.