The Sewing Place

Kilt buckles

WendyW

Kilt buckles
« on: August 25, 2018, 19:08:22 PM »
My hubby wants a kilt. I'm to the point of sewing on the buckles. I ordered buckles from a kilt supplier in Scotland, and they are very heavy leather.  My machine is not making complete stitches through the leather. The needle is penetrating, but the stitches are not forming. What adjustments do I need to make to my settings to ensure that it sews?

Sewingsue

Re: Kilt buckles
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 19:30:00 PM »
Kilts are normally all hand stitched and I suspect that might include the buckles.
I think you need to pierce the holes for the thread.

No personal experience but I have spoken to people who have made kilts.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 19:34:22 PM »
Have you got a leather needle in the machine?

However, if your machine is just not up to sewing the thick leather you will probably be better off sewing the buckles on by hand.  Use the machine, set to long straight stitch, to make holes in the leather all around the edge and then use two hand needles and strong, waxed thread and sew them on by the two needle method.  I think it's called saddle stitching.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:51:05 AM »
My best friend's mum worked in a sporran makers and the machines they used were strong enough to stitch through your thumb.
I could barely listen to her tell the story never mind imagine how sore it must have been.
It sounds like your machine may just not be up to it. Hand punching sounds like the way to go...or take it to a saddle maker.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
Fantastic!  You must really love him...  ;)

I'm really looking forward to the pictures.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
Wow, I’m impressed! I live in Scotland and have never heard of anyone making a kilt at home. That’s quite a task you’ve taken on. You must be almost done if you’ve got to the buckles, so well done. Hope hand sewing works.

WendyW

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 14:57:23 PM »
Wow, I’m impressed! I live in Scotland and have never heard of anyone making a kilt at home. That’s quite a task you’ve taken on. You must be almost done if you’ve got to the buckles, so well done. Hope hand sewing works.

After I'm done, I still can't claim to have made a traditional kilt. This is the one my hubby finally chose: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Cargo-Kilt/

It's a "utility" kilt- basically a khaki pleated skirt! He wants buckles instead of the snaps the above link uses. A pretty basic pattern. It's been funny using these instructions as they were written by some man who obviously had no knowledge of actual sewing methods and just figured it out as he went. He did a good job, but I did things a bit more normally than he instructs.

My hubby, like most Americans, is a mixed bag of linage, but he has always latched onto the Irish in his bloodline and claimed that over other options. He's been bugging me for a kilt for YEARS. I have dragged my feet, and put it off, and he couldn't find a plaid he liked, and the length of wool for a traditional kilt is expensive, so he finally settled on this. It is most definitely an act of love, because I do NOT want my hubby walking around town, or even the yard, in a SKIRT.  With any luck he will only wear it to the Renaissance Festival. 

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 16:50:34 PM »
NOT A SKIRT!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 17:33:03 PM »
It may not be made the traditional way, but a kilt is not a skirt.
 :angry:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 20:10:03 PM »
Oh, my!! I did not expect such strong reactions!

I KNOW a traditional kilt is not a skirt!  THIS one is NOT a traditional kilt. It's a pleated khaki skirt with a flat front.  Putting it on a man does not make it a kilt. I'm sure in Britain no one would look twice. In Minnesota, it's bound to get some attention, and not all good.

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 21:57:32 PM »
 0_0 WendyW! When you're in a hole, stop digging!  :*

But seriously.... Kilts don't get a second look around here (and throughout Scotland). They're still a novelty in England, to the point where my sons think twice about wearing theirs to formal events down there as they don't always 'want to be a tourist attraction' (their words).

Never, ever, a skirt though.

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 22:26:03 PM »
My DH wears a kilt to our Scottish country dancing classes here in Englsnd. He once wore the whole kilt outfit to a black tie do in Manchester and had a wolf whistle from someone in a car! Kilts have become much more popular in Scotland in the last 30 or more years. They weren't really worn as much when I was growing up north of the border ( a long time ago  :S )
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 06:42:55 AM »
I've only ever seen an Irish kilt once in my life!
Scottish ones however...no-one bats an eyelid over here. If I could have found one cell of Scot in him my OH would have been in one for our wedding.  :P
Everything about them is sexy if the legs are right!
Years ago my pal and I went out on the week-end and came across an entire visiting Rugby squad. Tall thin ones, little square ones, every shape and size......oooooo!
I'll stop now.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 07:49:58 AM »
@wrenkins yes I think it is football and rugby which has helped make kilt wearing popular. You can even get polyester kilts now (shudders). Your OH is perfectly entitled to wear a kilt and be a bit Scottish. Everyone can! Just like everyone is Irish on St Patrick's day!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
@wrenkins yes I think it is football and rugby which has helped make kilt wearing popular. You can even get polyester kilts now (shudders). Your OH is perfectly entitled to wear a kilt and be a bit Scottish. Everyone can! Just like everyone is Irish on St Patrick's day!
I'm not!  0_0  0_0  0_0
Until not that long ago St Pat's didn't really happen here. It still doesn't in most places. I'm always amazed at the fuss made abroad by the fifth and sixth generation "Irish".
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:14:12 AM by wrenkins »