New Hotpatterns shirtdress - DementedFairy, avert your eyes

UttaRetch

New Hotpatterns shirtdress - DementedFairy, avert your eyes
« on: March 24, 2017, 17:58:15 PM »
New shirtdress from Hotpatterns.

Vegegrow

Re: New Hotpatterns shirtdress - DementedFairy, avert your eyes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 18:43:13 PM »
Not for me... Sorry... you know in a gangster movie when the baddie grabs the front of the good guys shirt  twists and shoves him up against the wall ... do you think that was the look they were going for :|
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 19:08:08 PM »
 0_0  0_0  0_0

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 20:15:50 PM »
Not for me... Sorry... you know in a gangster movie when the baddie grabs the front of the good guys shirt  twists and shoves him up against the wall ... do you think that was the look they were going for :|

Do you mean it looks like a ghost is grabbing her at the waist? Yeah I agree.

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 20:22:17 PM »
Do you mean it looks like a ghost is grabbing her at the waist? Yeah I agree.
Different generation of Movies Fran.... :D   same look
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

datcat23

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 22:22:40 PM »
As an apple shape myself, I can tell you now that that stylish little twist at the front does not look good if you don't have a nicely defined waistline.  Made myself a top like this once, and it went straight into the donation bag .... managed to look like a sack and all wrong for my shape, all at the same time. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 22:37:40 PM »
Not my favourite style, Not keen on knotted middles either - I've enough lumps and bumps without adding wilfully!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 22:50:57 PM »
Aaaarggghhhh my eyes!  My eyes! >:)
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 22:53:35 PM »
Different generation of Movies Fran.... :D   same look

I still know what you mean, I just think that in absence of the big burly man to do it in the pic, it must be a ghost.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 22:54:21 PM »
Not my favourite style, Not keen on knotted middles either - I've enough lumps and bumps without adding wilfully!

I actually quite like that for the same reason. They're a good way to pull in the middle but without having a clingy front which then shows off everything.

jen

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 06:51:13 AM »
I think the key is to choose a fabric which has a soft drape, but I take the point that the design focus is bang in the middle of the front waist. That won't be flattering for everyone.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 07:58:04 AM »
Aaaarggghhhh my eyes!  My eyes! >:)

I told you not to look.  0_0

Didi

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »
It looks like the "love child" of two of the most popular styles at the moment, the shirt dress and the twisted front. Two styles for the price of one  0_0 I'm not convinced it works though and although I like both styles I'm not keen on them both at the same time

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »
The shirtdress is certainly popular and Instagram even has a sewalong.  I made a one a couple of years' ago, but there are better patterns out there than McCall's 6891.

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »
Not for me I'm afraid.  I like the simplicity of a shirt dress, and this just makes it over-fussy.  It would also be very unflattering on my particular body shape.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.