The Sewing Place

Sew La Di Da Vintage Margo

Ravingdoll

Sew La Di Da Vintage Margo
« on: August 26, 2018, 18:07:28 PM »
In my apparent determination to ruin the end of summer, here is my Margo wide legged halter necked jumpsuit.  Seemingly it is named after a character in The Good Life but I’ve never seen it.  It came together beautifully and needed very little alteration (just a bit taken in around the neck).  Caroline Smith who drafts the patterns does them to modern sizes and I’ve made a few of hers and they really do come together with good instructions.  Although of course you do need to rather like the vintage look.  I suppose this is more 1970s than 1950s though. 

Lachica

Re: Sew La Di Da Vintage Margo
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 18:25:01 PM »
Lovely. I like that fabric. Margo was the snobby neighbour in the Good Life. Played by Penelope Keith I think. She did have a rather lovely wardrobe and was tall and slim, which always helps with jumpsuits. My own attempt, made around 1979 I guess, was too short in the body and I couldn't sit down! That was before I found out about altering patterns.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

jen

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 18:34:47 PM »
Rather splendid, great fabric!

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 18:38:02 PM »
Yes that's lovely @Ravingdoll and much nicer than anything Margo wore in the Good Life. Now all you need is a bit more summer!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Samantha

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 19:39:53 PM »
Love it! I keep looking at that pattern, very tempted.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 19:52:02 PM »
It does come together lovely @Samantha.  Bodice and ties are lined too.  I am not always a fan of halter necks being big busted but this is sufficiently wide enough to stop the ‘side boobage’ thing!  The only thing that surprised me was that I am tall (5ft 8in) but still had to chop about 3 inches off the leg length.  And that was with fairly high wedged salndals on too.   

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 21:10:56 PM »
I’ve bought it  :) I also got a large length of very dark blue fabric at the hospital fete today for £1 which I hope will be enough for a test run  0_0

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 22:52:11 PM »
We need to see you in the things you make @Ravingdoll.  Hide behind large sunnies or 'chop your head off'. 0_0

Ravingdoll

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »
That is easier said than done @UttaRetch living alone and being a solitary sewist.  Unless I can get Toby the Thug trained up of course!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 08:16:43 AM »
Shoot a selfie in the mirror?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Shoot a selfie in the mirror?
..... with a bag on your head.
Life's too short for ironing.