The Sewing Place

Die cutting machine for quilting

Kitten

Die cutting machine for quilting
« on: August 27, 2018, 16:08:48 PM »
Hi all
I like quilting - not very good but have only done 2 small ones so far. 
The bit I find less enjoyable is the cutting out.  I never seem to have enough time or if I have time, the space to do it properly.  And I slip sometimes with the ruler and cutter.

Has anyone used a die cutting machine to cut their pieces?  If so which is best?

I've been looking at the Accuquilt Go Big but it's quite expensive, although it should outlast me I expect.

Any views greatly received.

Thanks
Kitten

csarina

Re: Die cutting machine for quilting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 16:12:19 PM »
I want to send you a message re a die cutting machine. is there any way I can do this?

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 16:43:00 PM »
I have a Sissix Big Shot Plus. It is very good and I swear by it....although, obviously it has limitations re sizes and shapes of dies.

To send a message @csarina  click on her name and there will be an option to send her a private message, under "actions" . Or, go to My Messages on the top toolbar and send one from there  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 17:17:17 PM »
Sizzix... either Big Shot or Big Shot Plus.

Kitten

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 18:25:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I have also looked at the Big Shot Plus - figuring get the biggest "mouth" for the dies to give me most options.

Have either of you used other makes of die in your Big Shot?  I quite like some of the die's I've seen for the Accuquilt and I suppose that and it being electric (thinking about when I get even older than I am now) is what raised the question.

It can be a bit of a minefield looking at new equipment, can't it.

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 13:59:24 PM »
I have a Sissix Big Shot - the electric version as I can't crank a handle because of back problems - and I'm very pleased with it. It cuts through 8 layers of fabric with no problem. My most used dies are the 4.5" square and the 2.5" x 24", which is a double die which I use for cutting my binding. Haven't needed to try other makers' dies so can't comment on that. I think it cost me about £125 which, for electric, I didn't think was too bad. I did have to buy the very long acrylic plates as extra because of the binding die but they last for ages.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 14:18:14 PM »
Do the dies stay sharp, and are there plenty of sizes and shapes available? 

I've been thinking about putting a Sissix on my Christmas list, but I can't quite believe they can be as good as they sound!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 15:10:01 PM »
I’ve put just about everything and any die through my Big Shot..it’s a real workhorse.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 00:54:58 AM »
It takes the slog out of cutting dozens of the same shape, and the benefit is you know they're all going to be exactly the same size. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
That's the thing that really attracts me - them being exactly the same size (and shape!)

Mr Acorn will be pleased to see it on my wishlist!

beepbeepsew

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 09:10:50 AM »
I have a big shot and would recommend it, like the others say - it's an easy, no fuss way of ensuring all your shapes are exactly the same.  I haven't tried non-brand dies in it though, so can't comment on those.

I have found though that there's a fair amount of fabric waste, far more than there would be if I were drawing around templates (I'm currently sending about a million clam shell shapes through mine). Even when cutting small squares out I find I waste much more than when I use my rotary cutter.  Also, the plastic plates need replacing every once in a while, mine are completely mullered but they are about 5 years old and very well used :)

Don't let me put you off!  It's a handy bit of kit, my mom has one too and she swears by it as she can't handle a rotary cutter for very long due to pain in her wrists.

Kitten

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 13:59:50 PM »
Ooh, I didn't realise Big Shot did an electric machine, only saw the hand crank ones.

I think I might have to put my purchase on hold this month though as my computer would not start on Tuesday so I have had to get another - I use it for work so no chance of delaying that purchase :(

I shall start building a birthday list ;)

mammafairy

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 21:09:35 PM »
I also have a big shot. It will only cut the size you have a die for, but it cuts easily and accurately, and it will usually take other dies. You may have to fiddle your layers though, to get it just right.
I have used their regular dies for applique, and also the Drunkards path for that style of block. Bit niggled that you have to buy the two halves separately, but that is my ( very) mean streak.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 23:17:13 PM »
So if I had a Big Shot Plus and I was using a die for 4.5inch squares, presumably I'd use a strip of fabric a bit wider than that.  How much space would be left between the squares?

And if I was doing triangles, presumably a triangle would be left between each piece, plus a gap (as for the squares)?

mammafairy

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 23:19:28 PM »
If you look at their website, they show you the dies, and will also show what sort of gaps you end up with.