The Sewing Place

Die cutting machine for quilting

Acorn

Re: Die cutting machine for quilting
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »
I did try, but on my current lousy internet connection (0.2mbps) their site is a nightmare to use.  I finally managed to get a video to load, stuttered through 6 minutes of it, only to find that the fabric they'd used was so busy you couldn't actually see the cut lines in the piece they pulled out.

I think I did pick up that a triangle die will give you two triangles forming a square, so won't waste fabric that way.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »
Yes, you get 2 x hsts or 4 xqst per die. They have dogs legs cut off and fit together perfectly every time.
I fold the fabric to the dimensions of the die, you do get a bit of waste but it's worth it in my opinion
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
Thanks Low - so really you can minimise the waste by careful folding.  I was concerned that you had to use a 5 inch wide strip to cut 3 inch wide pieces, or something like that.

I think I've got it now.

The ordinary dies just cut one shape (or 2 or 4 triangles, but one set) through however many thicknesses of fabric.  The extended dies - which were being used in the video I managed to see - are effectively a row of dies, so all next to each other.  The machine isn't using one die more than once as you turn the handle, which is what I assumed (and was very confused by!)

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 11:53:01 AM »
@Acorn  I don't have extended dies... must extend my repertoire soon  :D Yes, you place.....plate - die- folded fabric - top plate... then turn the handle and it all trundles through :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 11:58:34 AM »
Brilliant @Lowena!  It is on my Amazon Christmas list, and has been drawn to Mr Acorn's attention.