The Sewing Place

Coat-Along

Starryfish

Re: Coat-Along
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 18:14:39 PM »
I quite fancy making a softshell coat , either the zip up coat from the new Ottobre magazine or the Jalie City coat. I will  send for some samples from https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/softshell-fabrics.html?PageNumber=0&PageSize=96.

I wish we could get the kasha lining over here, it would be marvellous for lined coats instead of interlining with domette or flannel.
Stash reducing 2019.

Gone so far - 24m

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 19:25:09 PM »
I wish we could get the kasha lining over here, it would be marvellous for lined coats instead of interlining with domette or flannel.

Maybe if enough of us wanted it we could do a group order from overseas? Split the postage between more of us. I'd definitely be in.
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 28.7m
Traded: 12.3m
Added: 25.6m
Up/down: -15.4m down

My Blog - Plus Girl Sews // Follow me on Instagram :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 20:03:25 PM »
I like a nice coat so might be persuaded to join in... after I tackle the backlog.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 20:34:01 PM »
I like this

interpretation of the Luffa jacket.  I don't see me making a coat now this year, despite the fact that I have been promising for several years now to make a new and better winter coat.
What goes around comes around.

Lachica

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 22:45:04 PM »
Go for it @UttaRetch. If I'm allowed a moto jacket then you're allowed a flowery one.
Mary
2019 stash used so far :7.2m

mudcat

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 06:34:15 AM »
I bought the The Maker's Atelier book last year to try their rather spendy patterns.  I want to make mid-thigh length raw edge coat from some navy/green Italian wool/mohair tweedy woven fabric from EOS. Probably won't get to until early November when it finally starts to cool off a bit here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:13:13 AM by mudcat »

WendyW

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 06:41:50 AM »
I've got a fabric that's been waiting to become a bomber jacket. Maybe this will motivate me to get it done.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 07:17:11 AM »
OK. Looks like the US contingent will give coats a stab. Like Mudcat, when it starts to cool off here, maybe post SWAKOP unless I wind up trying a coat for that in which case, sooner.

I'm addicted to coat patterns though it's seldom cool enough for a proper coat. But I'm thinking some long unstructered, unlined trench type coat in...linen. Chocolate brown linen. I have scads of it, all the same base, some with marvelous embroidery in black on it. Might combine that with plain. We'll see.
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath. w.c. fields

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 08:45:27 AM »
Go for it @UttaRetch. If I'm allowed a moto jacket then you're allowed a flowery one.
I made this

coat a few years' ago and have another length of tapestry fabric very similar to that used for the Luffa jacket.
What goes around comes around.

wrenkins

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »
I love that coat Utta. I would wear it all day every day and probably sleep in it!  :loveit:
Fashion fades, style is forever!

annieg

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 10:15:36 AM »
I have some knitted boucle fabric (quite bulky, but lightweight) which would make a nice car coat (what we used to call them) - any pattern suggestions anyone?
Annieg

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »
@UttaRetch that coat is amazing, I'd wear it until it was in tatters. I guess you don't need a second one though.
Mary
2019 stash used so far :7.2m

Holly Berry

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 16:51:04 PM »
I think I wil join in. The fabric is already cut out and has been for 2 years so it’s time I made it up.

The pattern is https://sewdirect.com/acatalog/Vogue___8346.html. and I’ve cut it out in purple wool and have some black faux fur to make the shawl collar and possibly cuffs, but not sure at the moment.

Procrastination get behind me

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 17:18:34 PM »
Oooo nice @Holly Berry. Which one are you doing?
I had a similar style a long time ago but the vent at the back went up to my behind so when the wind blew I might as well have been wearing a blazer. :( It was Air Force blue and I loved it.
I have no need for a coat but I'm thinking maybe a jackety thing just to learn some more skills.
Fashion fades, style is forever!

Holly Berry

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 18:10:35 PM »
@wrenkins it’s view E. I’ve got so much faux fur, as I had to buy a minimum of 1mtr I might even make a Cossack hat  0_0
Procrastination get behind me