wrenkins

Re: Coat-Along
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 18:48:36 PM »
Or maybe one like this
Fashion fades, style is forever!

UttaRetch

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 19:01:19 PM »
The pattern is https://sewdirect.com/acatalog/Vogue___8346.html.

I made this

from that Vogue pattern as well as a dress and dressing gown.  It's an easy pattern and sews up relatively quickly.  The coat is the one I have been intending to replace ever since I made it.
What goes around comes around.

Lachica

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 20:22:26 PM »
@UttaRetch that is also fabulous. I like your orange lining. I don't understand why you don't sew more- you're obviously very skilled.
Mary
2019 stash used so far: about 10m stash added:5m

UttaRetch

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 20:24:52 PM »
It takes me too long and I get discouraged easily when things go wrong.  I am also often disappointed with the end result.  The fabric for that coat was too thin and I don't like the way the sleeves hang.
What goes around comes around.

Lachica

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 20:33:35 PM »
Well my standards are obviously not as high as yours. Sometimes 'good enough' is good enough.
Mary
2019 stash used so far: about 10m stash added:5m

Holly Berry

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 23:36:07 PM »
@UttaRetch I don’t know why I’ve hesitated making this up as I love the style and fabric and it’s got such good reviews. I love the detail on the back and the contrasting lining of yours. I’m afraid I’m a little conservative with lining and always seem to go with matching!

The main thing that’s putting me off is the lack of structure as there seems to be little interfacing and “tailoring” and I’ve chosen quite a heavyweight wool, which needs some tailoring.

Since cutting out I’ve bought a Craftsy course by Alison Smith and made a speed tailored coat. I messaged her through the course and asked her about this coat. She said she has made the coat and explained what interfacing it needed, so I’m going to have a go.
Procrastination get behind me

mudcat

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 03:14:34 AM »
Lovely coat @UttaRetch

Ploshkin

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »
I’ve bought a Craftsy course by Alison Smith
Both of Alison Smith's Craftsy courses are excellent, there is so much information in them and they don't put you to sleep like many others.  It's good to hear that she responds to queries.

I (very tentatively) may tag along as I have been intending to have a go at a jacket for DH for the last couple of years.  I've never attempted a man's jacket before but have done a bit of tailoring for myself.  I bought a couple of male jacket patterns way back and autumn/winter is when I get most sewing done so there's nothing to stop me really.
Life's too short for ironing.