The Sewing Place

Does anyone make quilts for other people?

Bloobell

Does anyone make quilts for other people?
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »
I've been asked to make a quilt out of a wedding dress.

The fabric is silk, and there are about seven different fabrics involved. The skirt was a bit lagenlook, with multilayers and flappy sections, so there was originally quite a lot of fabric, but I used a good amount of it a while back to make cushions for my client.

Now she wants a 60" x 45" quilt made from the remnants, for a family baby. I've got a bin liner full of fabric sections, some are fairly large but a lot are, of course odd shapes. I've also been given an old jersey duvet cover to use as the backing.

Quilting is not my forte. I'm only doing square patchwork, so perhaps some 6" squares, and some blocks made from 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 squares. Very simple. Quilting will only be straight lines in the ditch between each block. No free motion quilting at all.

Could anyone please help me with a guideline of the cost I should be charging for this? I'm not a quilter - I've made one of these before, but it was a gift so I did it from love. This time, I don't know this woman and she's paying.

I'm adding up what I feel it might take me, including the additional materials I'll have to buy (the wadding, more silk for the binding, possibly more silk for the blocks, if there isn't enough). It's adding up. I don't, however, want to spend 50 hours on something that I charge £100 for....there's no darn point.

I'm happy to talk privately by DM if anyone prefers that. 

Advice would be very, very welcome.

Sheilago

Re: Does anyone make quilts for other people?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 13:32:35 PM »
Hi, I am occasionally asked to make baby quilts for other people to give as gifts and I find it so difficult to come up with a price.
 It is impossible to be paid even minimum wage for the time you spend : as even a small quilt would cost hundreds of pounds. I usually work out what it costs for the materials and , as it is a loved hobby , anything I get for my time is a bonus. I usually say ‘ well the fabrics would cost £x’ and leave it up to them- usually I just get £10-£20 extra, but as I say for me it is just a hobby.
Maybe you need to speak honestly to the wedding dress owner and see what she says. Often people who don’t sew have no idea how long these things take.

Bloobell

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 14:20:33 PM »
Thanks @Sheilago  I am doing this as a professional job, so I have to charge.

Are there selling websites for quilts?

maliw

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 15:45:23 PM »
Try etsy
https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=quilts
a quilt can take hours + extra materials so decide what you want per hour and try to work out roughly the time it will take. It's very difficult because you can't get an exact figure but don't 'sell yourself short'.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

maliw

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 15:47:12 PM »
I've just seen Morgan's post on a Craft pricing calculator, sorry can't give you the link, maybe that will help.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 15:55:01 PM »
Cost of materials + number of hours @ an hourly rate . If you're being a true stickler + a little for electricity, wear and tear and an amount because it is a work of art and not just something run of the mill and functional. Doubtless it will run into a lot of money ( although you have the bulk of the fabric ) It depends whether she is of the "I can get one at IKEA, Dunelm,John Lewis etc for £20 " persuasion or really wants an heirloom piece.
P.S. I personally wouldn't recommend stitch in the ditch with such fabrics, stitch just inside the ditch would be preferable.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 17:39:06 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

csarina

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 17:12:01 PM »
I have on odd occasions made quilts usually either play mats or baby quilts. I usually charge £75 which is not really the true cost of making them. I was asked once to make a bed quilt, when I told them it would cost at least £1000 they told me they could get one from Dunelm for £30. Afraid I told them to go and buy one from there!!

When you take into account the cost of the fabric, time taken to cut out the fabric and then piece it, assemble it, layer up, wadding and backing and then quilt it you are looking at a lot of money.

I am just making a quilt for my great grand daughter due in October, to date I have spent £50 on fabric alone. The backing fabric has been given to me by a friend.......even simple quilting takes time, and burying the ends takes time as well as the time taken to hand sew down the binding. By the time I have finished it will probably have cost me over £100. Not that that matters. Quilting is not a cheap hobby.

jesster

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 18:46:49 PM »
I've also been given an old jersey duvet cover to use as the backing.

I've only done a bit of quilting for family and friends, so not a professional.  Someone with more experience may not agree, but I would not think of using jersey for the backing for a quilt made of silk remnants.  That way lies insanity, as the backing would stretch while you're trying to quilt it. 

I would also ask whether this is meant to be in regular use.  Silk and baby messes are not a good match when it comes to cleaning up.  If it's meant only for decorative use, maybe.  It's a lot of work and made more complex if it's a variety of different silk weaves (as your description seems to say). 

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:07 AM »
@Bloobell

Just Dont!

The Womans insane!

A quilt for a baby out of silk bits and bobs? with a jersey duvet cover??? for what???

If you want me to explain, the costs and processes you will need to go through I will, but quite frankly its not worth my time to type or your time to read ....

Do what all professionals do when they dont want a job;
Get back to her and say it will cost a minimum of £1000.00 ... she will soon go away!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 14:06:38 PM »
I agree with everything that's been said. Silk is not a good fabric for a baby - and it's not recommended to give a quilt to a baby until it's at least a year old - and jersey is definitely not good for a backing, especially with silk as a top. The cost of making the quilt would also be astronomical, bearing in mind the number of hours' work even the most basic quilt takes.  :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 15:53:10 PM »
I agree with what all the others have said.  Silk is not practical for a baby and will be rather more slippery and difficult than cotton to sew.  Jersey of any sort is not suitable for a quilt backing, it needs to be woven, and if you are making the top of silk then you should back it with silk and use silk wadding.

Given the time and effort it would take to make, plus all the extras, £1000 is the absolute minimum to charge.  If she needs to ask how much then she can't afford it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bloobell

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 17:21:57 PM »
Oh dear...

I've quoted significantly less than that. I think I'll contact her and say I've taken advice about the silk and have been strongly advised that it's not suitable for babies.

Thank you everyone. I'll see if I can wriggle out of it.....

x

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 17:37:20 PM »
Oh dear...

I've quoted significantly less than that. I think I'll contact her and say I've taken advice about the silk and have been strongly advised that it's not suitable for babies.

Thank you everyone. I'll see if I can wriggle out of it.....

x

No wriggling needed! Tell her you consulted expert quilters, as you do not make a habit of making quilts and were advised against taking on the project. Tell her you had a brain fart if you must. Regardless, bag the bits up and return them to her.

Without even considering the suitability of silks for a baby blanket, a bonnet yes, but quilt, no, you are talking multiple fabrics, most fairly unsuitable for a quilt to begin with and all finicky to work with. Some will need under lining, possibly being fused to interfacing for others and you've already been warned off about the jersey duvet.

These silly people are giving you scraps and discards to make a beautiful quilt from. Sows ear = silk purse: not! Just say no!

It is perfectly fine to occasionally refuse work. I consider that a mark of a true professional. You already know this is a problematic request and the nightmare hasn't even begun.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bloobell

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 17:50:00 PM »
Thank you. I've just sent an email blaming you lot... :devil:

No, I'm joking. I have just sent an email withdrawing my quote, explaining that I'd consulted with some very experienced quilters who advised me what a truly bad idea it all was, and that I couldn't, in good faith, make something that would potentially pose a danger to her still-to-be-born-grandchild.

And that's that. Quote withdrawn, reasons given, you lot blamed.....all in a day's work.

A massive, massive sloppy M'wah  :* to everyone for their marvellous advice and for keeping me out of trouble. I'm indebted, truly.

xxx

Bloobell

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 14:21:45 PM »
For anyone who is interested, a wee update on how this situation resolved itself.

I did a bit of brainstorming and made a few suggestions, and my client seized on the idea I had for a mobile for the nursery - still used the silk, but was well out of reach of any child, never mind a baby.

The silk is a golden beige, and my client wanted the embroidery colours to be in the same vein. The brief I got was that it had to be rustic and feature the family's two cats. I chose to go for a winter sky theme seeing as baby was due in early November.

The family now has a baby daughter, who arrived safely mid November, about a week after I finished the mobile for her room.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 14:24:41 PM by Bloobell »