The Sewing Place

I just can’t....

Efemera

I just can’t....
« on: August 28, 2018, 18:25:41 PM »
Spend this much on a pattern... it’s exactly what I want but the price!

https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/sewing/patterns/swppp050-the-sewing-workshop-ladies-sewing-pattern-florence-shirt
I’ve got a shirt pattern, could just do a few tweaks.

Gernella

Re: I just can’t....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 18:39:03 PM »
Whooo,  :o that's a bit rich for me, although I have bought pdf and had printed  but when it's split up I don't notice so much. :P
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 20:08:13 PM »
Lovely pattern, but no way would I pay that!!!

Why are they so much?

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 20:21:35 PM »
It’s £18 from Dragonfly Fabrics but it’s out of stock.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 00:50:27 AM »
Looks like a bog standard shirt with a funny pleat stitched along the lower front and an odd shaped pocket.  I won't be buying it!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:52:51 AM »
That is a lot - I think I would be expecting the fabric to come with it!

Sewingforfun

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »
 :angry: That’s ridiculous! It might be worth writing to Minerva and saying you thought about buying it, but it’s too much.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
I’ve got a shirt pattern that I’ll adapt..

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 22:42:48 PM »
That's ridiculous price!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 01:20:48 AM »
You can buy it directly from Linda Lee in Kansas for just a couple of pounds more including the shipping.

TSW is one of those US pattern lines whose designer has an almost cult following. Louise Cutting is another. Their cult will buy everything that comes out and I know quite a few people who have them on auto ship so each new release comes straight to their mailbox. I have one TSW pattern and it was from a friend. But they are pricey. I think If you're a one off person, not a good investment IMO. The Cult ladies tend to do multiple iterations of a pattern, which is encouraged by the designer, and brings the cost per usage down dramatically. I'd prefer PDF myself, but I've noticed recently that one designer I used to buy from, until my last order never showed up and the staff took a "so sad, too bad" approach has adjusted her PDF prices so they are now only a dollar or two less then a print pattern. Really?

This link will take you to the Florence shirt gallery page at TSW website. This one will take you to the Florence details page where a lot of the finished measurements are listed. Very useful in emulating a too pricey design.

These are well drafted and instructions are well written if that helps at all.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

jen

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
It is pricey. It takes a fair time to draft and check a pattern. With bigger companies we benefit from economies of scale, and lucky Americans who pick up Vogue patterns for a song in sales are used to absolute bargains. I hate pdfs and don’t get why people ignore the cost of printing out and the time cutting and glueing in their calculations. This shirt looks a bit fuller on the hips, and has a pleat near the bottom. Many could copy this easily, but lurking on forums I’m constantly surprised by the number of people who are in a tizz about fairly simple operations, so there’s going to be buyers who don’t want to work out how much fuller to make it and at what level to pleat, and how deep the pleat should be. There are indies I won’t name who, whilst cheaper, are worse bargains, to judge by the glaring mishaps in their demonstration garments.

mudcat

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
I have purchased a couple of the Cutting Line patterns and 4-5 of The Sewing Workshop patterns over time.  In my experience both lines are well drafted and CL has fantastic instructions.   However, CL runs large.  An XS was too big in spite of it's stated finished measurements.  The Sewing Workshop XS (or equivalent) works for me.  In the few I've tried out I've ended up making multiples which makes it easier to justify the price.

Funny, I noticed the Florence shirt in Blue Dot Border Print Cotton that Linda Lee was wearing ... I just bought that fabric from Marcy Tilton a couple of weeks ago.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
The quilting pattern I want to buy next is £25
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »
There’s a Diane Ericson pattern I’d like too but postage from the US is just prohibitive..
She does PDF but not this one.

https://dianeericson.com/products/118-fault-lines

annieg

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 13:40:07 PM »
There’s a Diane Ericson pattern I’d like too but postage from the US is just prohibitive..
She does PDF but not this one.

https://dianeericson.com/products/118-fault-lines

I really like the CACICEDO coat from that site.
Annieg