The Sewing Place

searching for fancy fabrics

arrow

searching for fancy fabrics
« on: August 31, 2018, 21:36:08 PM »
I think I am searching for remnats of luxury really. It's for a patch work robe like Bilbo has in the Hobbit. I have started on this project before, but it has turned out more difficult than I thought to get the right shades and quality of fabric. A bit expensive too. I need silk velvet, I think cotton-viscose blends will be fine. I'm wondering if I can use dress fabric, it's usually a type of knitted/jersey velvet, or if it needs to be more of a woven upholsery fabric. Woven fabrics are firmer and doesn't stretch as much. I need, green, beige, burgundy, murky ochre, perhaps brown. There are other types fabric there too, more in the direction of jaquard weave paterns, mostly monocrome, I can't tell if they are clothes fabrics or upholstery.

I think this is a jersey knit, but the silk-viscose blend is at least nice. I think #40 might be good green for the purpose. To get the right look it needs to be more specific types of fabric than I first thought.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 21:43:40 PM by arrow »

Acorn

Re: searching for fancy fabrics
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 22:37:55 PM »
That sounds fantastic Arrow.

I've been saving bits of velvet and fancy fabrics to make a patchwork jacket for quite a while.  Curtain weight velvet is great for that, but it might be a bit heavy/stiff for a robe.  I think silk velvet is the most luxurious feeling fabric there is.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 22:48:34 PM »
Great project! Do you have any upholsterers or soft furnishings makers nearby? They might have offcuts/remnants that could be useful. Or perhaps charity or secondhand shops for garments for upcycling?

arrow

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 23:09:37 PM »
There are a few upholsterers left on the outskirts of my town. Thanks for the tip, I shall search them up. I probably have to order half  or a whole meter of fabric to get there. I have been to the salvation army shop here, they have lots of used clothes of all kinds and I might find something.

Where did they shop for fabrics like these?

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 23:09:46 PM »
Knitted/jersey fabric is not a good choice for patchwork, and being velvet you wouldn't be able to stabilise it with iron-on interfacing.

The suggestion of trying to find someone who makes upholstry and furnishings is good, or maybe you could find a source of old sample books with velvet fabrics in.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 23:12:27 PM »

Where did they shop for fabrics like these?

A lot of those look like brocade and other furnishing fabric.  Again, see if you can find a shop which will let you have an out of date sample book.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 01:47:20 AM »
Sorry for the novella to follow, but I know this subject.  ;)

Definitely home dec fabric. Collars, cuffs and pockets are I believe cotton velvet or velveteen. Silk velvet has a bit of a sheen which is lacking in the photos. Your silk link is gorgeous, has an intense sheen and would certainly work with the lighter weight home decor fabrics. I just checked a length of my cotton velveteen and it would work well, nice drape for the collar.

What you need are sample books from a home decorator or interior design store.  Locally most smaller upholstery places didn't have much in the way of sample books. Hunt around and ask around. Bergen is a big city, you should be able to get some.

Fabric styles and color trends change every year and the sample books get dated fairly quickly. Depending on the decorator/interior design shop, they pitch, give away or sell the swatch books. Some have long standing arrangements with people who make little one off decorative pillows that are sold in boutiques and these days on Etsy.

I got most of mine from the local quilt shop. BFF of one of the owners is a decorator who deals mostly high end and she would haul in boxes of the books about once a year. Bigger samples, about fat quarter size of heavy fabrics got turned into dog beds for charity and the rest was for the picking. Most quilters only saw what you could do with the cottons or dog bed suitable ones. I got the silks, sheers, linens, embroidered ones etc. I tried not to be greedy, but... :ninja:

The swatch sizes vary widely, depending on type of fabric. The majority of the fancy brocades and embroidered ones are often 5"x 8" to 8"x 10". Velvets and piles are usually more fat quarter size. The books usually have 40 to 60 swatches and are either a full line, with a lot of colors or color ranges, with every fabric that comes in that color from that company in the book. The color ranges would be perfect for you.  Most of the ones I have are fabrics that sell for US $30 to $65. Stuff I'd never buy yards of.

What I would do is get enough of the velvet for the main parts and extra to use in the garment of that dominate color to keep the theme solid. Then 1/4 yard pieces of maybe 3 other solid velvets. The samples are big enough for 3 or 4 smaller bits from small ones, more from the larger ones. You could always get 1/8 yard pieces of one or two brocades if you wanted a less scrappy effect. I'd go with the full scrappy effect the sample books would give you, as that is definitely in the spirit of the Shire.

Fiber contents will be all over the place, all sorts of blends, and either dry cleaning or spot cleaning of the finished item would be best. Some pieces with the look you want might be much lighter weight and a really light weight fusible interfacing might be good on those.

These fabrics tend to ravel a bit so overlock the finished seams.

Just this morning I was looking at some of my swatch books. Sorry postage would kill us or I'd share.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

arrow

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 16:22:19 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I need to go hunting for shops and fabrics. This has been done before, I have attempted this before, but I need to get the fabrics and color shades right. Random search results from the www.

This lady found very good fabric patches, but seriously should be given a fine for the frilled end at the bottom.

This is a rather good too, not a bad version of it.

It's very difficult to get it spot on, maybe I should not be that picky.

This are the original color huse I fell for:

You can notice Bilbo's makeup in this picture, but the fabric details could be better. I even think it's his real nose.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 16:24:08 PM by arrow »

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 16:33:56 PM »
Liberty have some fabulous silk/viscose velvet.  Not cheap, if course, although some are reduced to £29 a metre!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 19:14:35 PM by Acorn »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 18:22:57 PM »
@arrow last night it occurred to me you didn't say if this was for cosplay and you want a close copy or just an inspiration you want to emulate, sort of a homage. The comment about the frill on the one version really has me wondering now. But before you were talking silks and the original is definitely, in my stubborn opinion, not silk, at least not any of the velvet/velveteen.

So, cosplay, right?

BTW: I would turn my whole house into Bag End if I could.  :toast:

ETA: Did you know they gave Martin Freeman the dressing gown as a going away gift at the end? Way cool...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 18:31:32 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

arrow

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 19:35:09 PM »
I took on the idea mostly for fun, it's not for a play or anything like that. It would be something that stands out from the ordinary. I don't know if I will end up wearing it much, since it probably will end up a bit heavy (I probably would not mind at all). The fabric doesn't have to be silk at all, I just deliberately avoid polyester in a garment like that. I don't mind viscose-cotton velvet at all, it's soft and nice. Polyester has something I don't like the feel of, I can tolerate it up to 20% but it's not my favorite. When I searched for velvet the ones I found with out polyester all had a bit of slik in them, and I'm not against silk in itself.

For the colors, I think I fell for the candle light varnish it sort of has. Not too bright or light patch combinations, but still rich colors like the burgundy collar and natural hues. I still love Bilbos home, those curved walls, wooden beams and all. It made me think of art nouveau and arts and craft houses and furniture.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 19:38:25 PM by arrow »

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 19:37:43 PM »
Ralston Fabrics have a nice selection of cotton velvets, mostly plain, but some patterned ones.

elisep

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 14:40:49 PM »
I know some others have said to use cotton velvet and not silk, but I have some off cuts of the silk velvet I used for my evening dress (you can see the colour here). It's a burgundy colour, sadly the pieces wouldn't be big enough to do the lapels/cuffs but definitely the patches.
I would be very happy to send them to you?

If you want to purchase a larger amount to do lapels etc, I bought it off
ebay. Even though it comes from China, the quality is really lovely. Mine arrived quite "crushed" but a steaming fixed it completely. They sell in half meters too which would help you. They were also happy to send out swatches before I purchased, too.
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 20:26:11 PM »
Fabric sample books would be useful if you can get hold of them.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !