The Sewing Place

paraffin smell on fabric

toileandtrouble

paraffin smell on fabric
« on: September 02, 2018, 17:36:10 PM »
Bought some coating online, it is supposed to be wool, but it felt dusty so I gave it a gentle wash.  The dustiness has gone but  there is a lingering smell of paraffin even after two washes and some fabric conditioner.  Any suggestions?  If I can't shift it, there is obviously no point in wasting time making it up.  It has been 'airing' in my sewing room for a few months and the smell seems to be increasing rather than diminishing.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

HenriettaMaria

Re: paraffin smell on fabric
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 18:38:06 PM »
Have you tried a flame test on a small piece?  If it smells like burnt hair, then it's wool but if it melts into a shiny ball or drips, then it's artificial, in which case the paraffin smell might indicate it's 'biodegrading'.  Do the test over a sink in case it flares!

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 19:31:30 PM »
I had this problem with some fabric...I tried everything, I gave up and ditched it.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 19:51:07 PM »
Thank you, O wise ones.  Decided to follow both your suggestions.  May be some wool in there but a lot of something else.   Who want a jacket that is bio-degrading?  I don't love it that much, in fact I nearly offered it on here, but so glad I didn't!

sdBev

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 20:13:05 PM »
I bought some laces a few months ago with a smell I couldnt get rid of. Not the same smell as you are experiencing but I offer my experience because the Freezer Treatment usually works. I put the laces in a plastic bag with a lavender scented dryer sheet. Sealed the bag, threw it in the freezer and forgot it.  When I found it 2 months later, no smell.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 20:31:50 PM »
This much fabric? It would be a whole shelf of the freezer - and probably make all my food taste of paraffin. This is powerful stuff! I'm afraid it is going,