The Sewing Place

WBL Batik query

sewmuchmore

WBL Batik query
« on: March 22, 2024, 09:43:21 AM »
Has anyone any experience with this fabric. The care label says do not machine wash and i am just wondering why? Does it bleed/shrink.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Cazlyn

Re: WBL Batik query
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 09:52:58 AM »
No idea I’m afraid, it’s rather pretty.  Have you thought about cutting out say a six inch square and washing and ironing to see what happens?
Crafting is my happy place

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 09:53:32 AM »
What I would do is cut an exact 10cm square from one corner and wash it in a quick cool wash in the machine to see how it comes out. Press it and measure again. You could cut 2 squares and handwash the other one to compare.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 10:01:54 AM »
@Cazlyn @Greybird yes that was going to be the next step once i have got the labels and all the sticky stuff off.

Janet

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 10:13:20 AM »
My washing machine has a hand wash setting on it (cool water, gentle swishing, not much spinning) so if you have something similar I suggest using that.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 13:31:57 PM »
Don't wash or dryclean? How are you supposed to look after it then?? Very nice though.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 08:50:34 AM »
Hand wash separately with mild detergent are the instructions.
A bit hard to do if you use it in a quilt.

I suspect it has some dyes which are not completely colour fast.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 09:04:07 AM »
Just to update you. I did stick 6x6 piece in the washer with no adverse affects, no shrinking  and no bleeding so i put the rest of it in. Don't as a general rule prewash my fabric but this had a slight waxy feel to it and a bit musty as it was a charity shop find.
Fabric is now sweet smelling and no waxy feel.
Now what to make?

Janet