The Sewing Place

Fabric Shops Around The World

Surest1tch

Re: Fabric Shops Around The World
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 18:40:11 PM »
Oh dear @Manuela, I wish I hadn't open one of those links, I want to cry now  :'(.

Sakar

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 21:31:39 PM »
This thread is really a great idea!!  0_0

If you ever come to Austria, just let me know, I would be pleased to "help" you with your fabric-shopping tour  :D

My favourite shop: http://www.patchworkstube.at

Another good shop (but too far away for a short visit for me :(): http://www.rm-patchwork.com

Bowerbird

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
Sydney, Aus.

There's a link to a blog post Here that covers the options here.

She discusses:

the Fabric Store-best merino knits, Tessutis-wonderful fabrics, and their own patterns (pdf's are cheaper) & E&M Greenfield, lots of haberdashery & fabrics. All within 5 mins walk of Central Station.

John St, Cabramatta-45min train trip, a selection of fabric stores, with lots of Vietnamese restaurants to help keep your strength up.

Southern side of Sydney-Pitt Trading & The Remnant Warehouse (dance fabrics as well)

Everywhere-Spotlight. Fabric's not that great, but patterns can be on sale if you're lucky, ie Vogue's $5 each, others 3 for $10, & variations on that them. Also patchwork fabric & crafty stuff, knitting, beading, etc etc etc.

BlueCat

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 18:04:12 PM »
Tejidos Nicolas in Cartagena, Spain.
Tejidos Nicholas. Avenida Brussels.  Espacio Mediterraneo.
Loads of unusual fabrics, I guess they're roll ends from the local clothing manufacturers. Good prices.
Visited here today.....good selection and prices.  Thank you, Lacihica, for the heads up.

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 22:54:25 PM »
I've got Mondial Tissus in Perpignan on the Route d'Espagne. Tissues du Sud on Polygone Nord - furnishing fabrics and outdoor furniture fabrics as well as dressmaking fabric and a great haberdashery. Le Hangar aux Tissus, also Polygone Nord Perpignan Curtaining and dance fabrics and dress making.  La Couserie Creative in Perpignan old town.

In Spain in Figueres, Euro Tissus  (locally known as El Moro) near the municipal market. Dressmaking fabrics. Unbeatable prices.

Barcelona Ribes y Casals, Carrer Roger Lluria - my favourite shop ever.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Giotto

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »
Anyone know of fabric shops in the Drôme area of France?  I'll be there the week before Christmas, flying into Lyon and staying not far from Montélimar, possibly going as far south as Avignon.  It's garment fabric I'm interested in, not quilting.

Catllar

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 18:40:02 PM »
Jalan Sulawesi in Denpasar Bali is a street  of 100s of fabric shops. Big girl pants and lots of cash together with a smart head for adding up. This street has EVERYTHING you could wish for. There is a parallel street ( forgot name) that is haberdashery heaven too.

Rosieh

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 16:56:18 PM »
I'm lucky enough to travel with my job. there is an area in Madrid called Pontejos behind the Sol public square, there are dozens of haberdashery shops there selling the most gorgeous trims and laces. there are also some shops just selling fabrics - beware of the siesta period, they all shut down in the afternoon and don't re-open until around 4 or 5pm but then they remain open until 8 or 9pm. there is a lot of competition so prices are reasonable. I favoured the ones where they had laces and trims on reels as a lot of them have books (like the Argos catalogue) where you pick out what you want from small samples and they go and fetch it for you -  but unless you speak good Spanish, the shops where you can look and feel are better and I got by pointing and using my fingers to say how many metres.

blackcat001

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 10:16:42 AM »
Copied from another board I posted on about bricks & mortar shops

North West France

In my short time here, I have located three.

Laval: Tissus du Centre, Route de Fougères, 53000 Laval. It's in an industrial unit on the industrial/retail park where Darty is located (at the Peugeot end).

Rennes: Tissus Myrtille, 173 Rue de Lorient, 35132 Vezin-le-Coquet

Le Mans: Tissus Myrtille, 92 Rue du Moulin aux Moines, 72650 La Chapelle-Saint-Aubin

Addendum.. There is another. Toiles de Mayenne, Le Bourg, Fontaine Daniel, 53100 Saint-Georges-Buttavent. I have not visited inside yet, so can't report accurately as to how good it is. My current understanding is that it has wonderful fabrics for household items and that it is expensive. One day  will check it out.

Of the first three I mentioned, I love them all. Each has a great range of fabrics for just about any purpose from quilting, dressmaking, upholstery, crafting.. anything, really. They also have a great range of yarns and a myriad of haberdashery items. My nearest and dearest is very, very glad the shops are not closer to where we live...  ;)

So Chic

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 14:48:56 PM »
The whole of the basement of HEMA in Ostend is devoted to fabric of all kinds and I have always been happy with what I've bought from them.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Giotto

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 23:22:47 PM »
Hello, @Sakar, I'm going to be in Salzburg for a week in late April. We shall probably hire a car to explore outside of Salzburg for a couple of days so if you have any fabric shop recommendations for Salzburg and the surrounding area I would be grateful.  I'm interested in garment sewing.

Sakar

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 20:10:54 PM »
Hi Giotto, Salzburg is quite away from where I live, but I asked a friend of mine and she recommends Wenatex - Haus der Stoffe which can be translated as "House of fabrics". They offer a wide range of fabrics for kids, garments, costume dressing, home decoration and patchwork.

Their normal opening times are:
Mo-Fr 9am-6pm,
Sat. 9am-1pm

Factory sale:
Mo-Thur: 9am-2pm
Fr: 9am-1pm

Their address:
Haus der Stoffe
Münchner Bundesstraße 140
A-5020 Salzburg

I wish you a nice trip to Salzburg and happy shopping!  0_0

Giotto

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 15:34:40 PM »
Hello, Sakar.  Please accept my apologies for not replying to your message before now.  I don't know why I didn't reply at the time.  :| :|   Thank you very much for the information.  I have made a note of this shop's name and address and hope to make a visit there in a couple of weeks' time.

Sakar

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2019, 22:18:12 PM »
Doesn't matter, @Giotto , enjoy your trip!! :)

Catllar

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 18:49:13 PM »
Found a fabulous place that hand weaves Indonesian Ikat.  Name of the place is Cilli Ikat. In a little town called Gianyar just north of Denpasar. I might go again next year!!