The Sewing Place

Fabric Shops Around The World

Giotto

Re: Fabric Shops Around The World
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 17:35:43 PM »
Well, I came to Salzburg on Saturday evening. At the first available opportunity, on Monday morning, I dragged my husband on a bus trip across the city to Wenatex, Haus der Stoffe, as recommended on here by @Sakar. Thank you @Sakar.
It’s a lovely shop with pleasant staff and a good variety of garment suitable fabrics. I bought 2 linens, one plain blue and the other striped blue & white. They coordinate but may well be made into separate garments of the uncoordinated variety.
I’ve been in several “Trachten” shops which sell lovely fabrics for traditional Austrian dresses but they are extremely expensive so I just admired and came away.
I can, however, recommend Wenatex to other travellers to Salzburg.

Sakar

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2019, 18:46:34 PM »
I am glad that you found something you like, @Giotto  :) Oh yes, Trachtenstoffe = fabrics especially for Austrian costumes are really expensive, and it's a very special style too (not my favourite, to be honest ;) )  But it's great that you like it!! I hope the trip was generally nice and enjoyable :)

Giotto

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 23:19:44 PM »
The ‘costumes’ made in Trachtenstoffe are beautiful even if they are of a particular style & vintage. I wouldnt have considered wearing that style itself but thought some of the cotton fabrics were lovely- say, for a straight or “Whitestuff” style A-line kind of skirt but the prices?!?!?! The cheapest 100% cotton I saw was priced at €49.90 per metre!

It fascinates me that people still wear the traditional dress. Only this morning I sat at a cafe in Bad Ischl and there was a man dressed in Trachtenstoffe - lederhosen etc. Still, each to their own. It makes for an interesting world!

Sewing Chanel-Style

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2019, 06:32:48 AM »
I live in the Netherlands.  Most fabric stores died the last ten years.  Everybody is going to the markets (where there as usually some fabric sellers),  the big fabric-events in the big city's or some shops who survived the competition with a few great online-shops.
There are also some specialized markets in Utrecht and some other cities. They are a mix of great fabric sellers and a lot of cheap stuff.
It is a pity there are not so much stores left in middle cities.  But the stores which are still excisting are great and very customer-friendly. Also you can buy there ANYTHING so it is hard to walk in withut walking out with an empty creditcard and a trolley filled with an overload of fabrics.  :loveit:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »
@Margarita DH and I spent a long weekend in Amsterdam some years ago and I found a street where every other shop was a fabric shop.   Unfortunately most didn’t take credit cards at the time which I thought very strange.  But there was so much choice and they were so far ahead of what was available over here.  I’ve always thought I’d like to go back.  But I wonder if the shops are stilll there. 

Giotto

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 18:26:08 PM »
@Ohsewsimple, I'm only noticing your message now. I was in Amsterdam last year for the first time and I found the street you are referring to. Lots of fabric shops still there with a wide variety of fabrics and price range. I'd love to return!

mudcat

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 21:26:59 PM »
Should any of you ever get to Portland Oregon the US (I know, I know....) I highly recommend the Mill End, Bolt Fabric Boutiaue and Josephine's Dry Goods.  I managed to bring home four pieces from my recent vacation. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 22:01:39 PM »
@Ohsewsimple, I'm only noticing your message now. I was in Amsterdam last year for the first time and I found the street you are referring to. Lots of fabric shops still there with a wide variety of fabrics and price range. I'd love to return!

So glad to know that @Giotto. I’d love to go back too.  Funnily enough I was looking at a short cruise yesterday that went to Amsterdam.  :)

Carillion

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »
Destock Tissus, Pontivy, Morbihan, Brittany.

Opened at the beginning of 2019. Very wide-ranging stock at reasonable prices.

Futura

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2019, 01:22:17 AM »
I like Pacific Fabrics in Seattle, WA, USA. They've got a great selection of apparel fabric and supplies.

Ben Franklin Crafts and Frame shop in Monroe, WA has a nice selection of quality quilting fabrics. I don't quilt, but a lot of their printed cottons are so lovely I've bought vast amounts for clothing!

Catllar

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 18:02:29 PM »
Teixits Yasmina in Girona is my newest destination. 
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Giotto

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2020, 20:59:07 PM »
I'm just back last week from our first trip to South Africa.  The excuse to go was for a wedding. :)  I can now understand why people who've gone once want to return! 
Anyway, to the subject in hand: I have read for some time the blog/instagram posts by Vicki Wright/SewVee who has made a lot of her clothes with African wax /shweshwe fabric and I had sussed out, before we left home, a shop called Mnandi textiles in the Observatory area of Cape Town.  Some of the fabrics are what I would call very loud: very bright and large patterns which work under a very bright African sky but wouldn't work for me.  However, I thought I might be able to find something a bit "quieter" that would suit my tastes for a summer dress.....or 2.....or 3!
Just to let you know that if anyone else is interested in going it's a lovely shop, with gorgeous fabrics.  However, the best bit about the shop was the man who works there.  I don't know if he just works there or is the owner.  He greeted us very pleasantly and I told him what I was looking for.  He explained and showed me the different types of fabric they had, the widths etc. and then left me to peruse the store in peace. It's definitely worth a visit if you're going to be in Cape Town.

Fiona M

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2020, 09:47:52 AM »
Should any of you ever get to Portland Oregon the US (I know, I know....) I highly recommend the Mill End, Bolt Fabric Boutiaue and Josephine's Dry Goods.  I managed to bring home four pieces from my recent vacation.
Portland, Oregon is definitely on my list of places to go soon.

Sewot

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2020, 06:09:14 AM »
In Australia we have "Spotlight".
It is massive!!!
Best I have ever witnessed.
Not just fabric but shed loads of mouth watering sewing machines.
Also a upholstery department for curtains, seats, you name it.
On the upper floor a dept for all things crafting.
The best fabric shop globally.
Unless you want specific stuff like Egyptian cotton etc etc.
They cover most stuff.
Pete

EdTheMaker

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2020, 16:59:13 PM »
I bought 5 yards of hand block printed cotton delivered all the way from Jaipur India. For £21!
I was a bit worried it was going to be too lightweight for my next shirt project but it feels fine.
I can dig out the link to the supplier on Amazon if anyone is interested.