The Sewing Place

Fabric Shops Around The World

Francesca

Fabric Shops Around The World
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
I see we get lot of requests for fabric shops in locations other than the UK. So why not have a thread?

Please post any recommendations of fabric shops in places you've visited beyond the UK.

Francesca

Re: Fabric Shops Around The World
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:53:43 AM »

Pinkstar

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
Is this cos I've just asked about Berlin  :D

Pinkstar

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »
Good idea  :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »
@Pinkstar we were in Berlin this summer and because it was so hot didn't manage to get to any fabric shops although I did visit the department store Karstadt in other cities we visited and it has a good fabric department. I guess the Berlin one would be the same. But I believe the Turkish market in Berlin is worth a visit.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Pinkstar

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 13:28:03 PM »
Thanks Tam. I shall get googling and check those places out   :)

Efemera

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 18:23:14 PM »
If you happen to be in the Auvergne there are at least 3 large fabric sheds on the road out from Clermont to Le Cendre/Cournon. Just Google "magasin de tissus Clermont Ferrand". I spent hours in just one - fabulous choice of every kind of fabric and cheap.   :fabric: :)

elisep

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 13:17:12 PM »
In Vienna I went to Jakob Komolka - https://www.komolka.at/
Absolutely amazing place, 3 or 4 levels, dressmaking fabrics and I think there was furnishing fabrics in the basement level too. Very high quality fabrics with the price tag to match! But heaps and heaps of options... lots of suiting fabrics, lace/sequin/evening wear fabrics, cottons and silks in every shade under the sun.

If in Paris, in Montmarte below Sacre Coeur is the fabric district. When I was there in 2014 there was a small shop that only sold remnants - mostly 3m pieces if I remember correctly. I think they were remnants from one of the large stores, whose name escapes me. Sadly when I was there in 2016 I was backpacking and not expecting to be returning home for some time so I didn't go buy anything. In 2014 I bought a piece of silk georgette for 10 euro which became an evening dress.... a nice memento of that trip!
If I had my time over I'd buy a piece of fabric in every city that I visited - oh well!

When in Toronto... King Textiles on Spadina was an aladdin's cave of fabrics... absolutely full to the brim. There were also several stores on Queen St West worth taking a look at.
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 13:20:05 PM »
Tejidos Nicolas in Cartagena, Spain.
Tejidos Nicholas. Avenida Brussels.  Espacio Mediterraneo.
Loads of unusual fabrics, I guess they're roll ends from the local clothing manufacturers. Good prices & no obligation, unlike traditional fabric shops nearby where you can only see the fabric after the sales lady (it is usually a lady) has climbed a ladder to fetch it,.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Samantha

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 14:23:05 PM »
Albert Cuyp market in Amsterdam on a Saturday. Lots of shops alongside the market.

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 17:32:26 PM »
Cap Tissus in Chateauroux. Just off the motorway, google it!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 19:06:16 PM »
If you are in Estonia visit Abakhan's! I found two branches when I was in Tartu a few years ago.

And Ribes & Casals in Palma de Mallorca is a big fabric shop which is worth a visit if you are in Mallorca. I got two lengths of unusual digiitally printed cotton for, I think, €6 pm last summer. Just making one up now and will post in the appropriate place when I've finished.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 19:14:29 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

elisep

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »
I thought I'd come in and post some local stores to me for anyone that might happen to be visiting Melbourne, Australia!

Rathdowne Fabrics in Victoria Street, Brunswick. Beautiful silks, laces & bridal fabrics, designer fabrics, lots of remnants. Also your standard cottons, jerseys, wools and suitings. I just bought a beautiful piece of silk charmeuse for $20/m but there was also a roll of silk georgette that I was coveting that was $78/m! So lots of variation.

The Fabric Store has locations in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, also NZ and LA I think? They have lots of fabrics on their website but more in store that aren't listed. Designer end of rolls, liberty fabrics, lots of unusual and beautiful fabrics. Also a decent selection of leather.

Darn Cheap Fabrics have 3 locations, Glenhuntly; Heidelberg and Port Melbourne. They have a really great selection of fabrics, not all cheap! but most really reasonably priced. Plain silks, a huge selection of wool coatings, lots of jerseys, quilting cottons, laces, suitings, polys etc. Really helpful and knowledgeable staff.

Sydney road in Coburg has a tonne of little fabric stores a la Goldhawk road! Lots of bargains to find.
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 14:24:39 PM »
Fabric shopping in Hong Kong

Sham Shui Po Shopping Map

Shopping for sewing supplies in Hong Kong

An older but frequently updated guide with recommendations in the comments section
Sewing and craft supplies in Hong Kong

Don't forget to get in touch with me if you come to Hong Kong, I might want to join your fabric shopping adventure  ;)