The Sewing Place

Threadcount 1607 Shirt Dress

SeeDesignMake

Threadcount 1607 Shirt Dress
« on: September 03, 2018, 14:35:41 PM »
I have just finished sewing Threadcount 1607, which came free with a copy of Love Sewing magazine.

Overall I am quite disappointed with this make. The dress looks nothing like what the model in the magazine was wearing, which is very frustrating!!!  I really regret not making a toile as I had so much trouble trying to get the fit right, there were so many issues!  I am always quite conscious when fitting my garments as I always want to make sure there is room in case I put on a bit of weight (which means I often make things far bigger than they should be). However, the ease in this dress was a bit ridiculous.

To read my review on the pattern visit https://seedesignmake.com/make-it-review-threadcount-1607-shirt-dress/

UttaRetch

Re: Threadcount 1607 Shirt Dress
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 14:55:35 PM »
Beautiful fabric, however, I don't think your version is that different from the pattern.  Sorry you are disappointed and we all know how that feels.

Samantha

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
I made this dress for my sister, the only problem I had were with the sleeves - the cuffs were too tight but I think that was down to me trying to eek it out of less material than required. I made it out of a fairly thick corduroy.

Yours looks really nice, I'm sure it's only you that will notice the fitting issues  ;)

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
I'm not sure if Threadcount counts as an Indie pattern company as it seems they only come free with Love Sewing. At least with the big 4, I know to size down one - with Indies you honestly don't know where you are until you've tried. The last two I've made (one a muslin, the other now gone to the charity shop) were way too small. I think I should post about them on the forum to warn others. Very frustrating for you but at least you were able to take it in - and your dress looks very wearable after all your hard effort.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 12:04:56 PM »
I believe all Threadcount patterns are re-issued versions of Big 4 patterns. I know the one I sewed was just a Butterick re-issue.

Seweasy

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »
I actually quite like your dress, it looks good on you and you have made good job in sewing it up....but, I do tend to think we criticise ourselves far too harshly, when we have made something that we ourselves, aren't truly happy with.. :)...so I understand what you are saying, (I also do this) but to me.. it looks really good....and well done on continuing with it, even though you had issues with the fabric and fit.  To do that is sometimes is an accomplishment in its'self.  You have however, answered one of the queries I have when buying magazines, simply for their patterns...on how they will fit....and how much ease they have....I usually end up not buying a magazine or pattern due to the fact the my upper part of my body is considerably 'larger' than the rest of me...and knowing that this particular patter sews up 'BIGGER' to my ears a good thing....I have this pattern and will probably now take the plunge (at some point) to make it, however I will also take heed of the things you stipulate in your blog.....and make a toile.... :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:40:15 AM by Seweasy »
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....

SeeDesignMake

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 13:07:09 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments. Now I have got over the struggle of making it I am starting to like the look of it when I wear it.