The Sewing Place

Snap Fasteners for cardigan

Ploshkin

Snap Fasteners for cardigan
« on: March 01, 2017, 16:33:42 PM »
I've made a cardigan from fairly decent weight sweatshirt fabric.  That means the button band is double thickness and it has woven interfacing in it too.  I decided not to do buttons & buttonholes because of the thickness and to go for snap fasteners instead.   Oh dear!
I wasn't sure whether 15mm or 12mm would be best so I got some of each.  The fabric is grey and I wasn't sure what brass or coppery colour would look like so I also got some gun metal. 
One lot are branded the other two aren't.  The non branded ones are a nightmare.  Firstly they came without a fixing tool or any instructions and I had to buy a fixing tool separately.  I tried some out on a spare piece of fabric. 
The 15mm non branded ones (which are the best colour) need tremendous force to snap the two halves together and once fastened even my OH who is very strong, can't prise it apart with a screwdriver. 
The 12mm non branded ones snap together and come apart nicely before fixing but once fixed won't snap together at all because the bit you have to squash down in the middle fouls  the stud on the other side.
The 15mm branded ones (Hemline) seem to have fixed ok and snap together ok but need a fair pull to get them apart.  I'm afraid that with a lot of use the button band might get stretched or distorted.

So I still have the wretched garment sitting there waiting for fastenings.  Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?  I've possibly left it too late to do buttonholes as I think they would have been best done before attaching the button band.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

Re: Snap Fasteners for cardigan
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 17:01:10 PM »
What about largish press studs to fasten and put decorative buttons on the band

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 21:16:49 PM »
That's what I was thinking... better than having to carry round a screwdriver  :D
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 21:44:34 PM »
I think that is going to have to be the answer but the thought of sewing all those poppers on by hand ......
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
I agree with the others Plosh.  I use Kam snaps for baby things, but they are not much use for adult stuff.  I have several bought garments with large press studs behind pretty buttons, and they look nice.

I agree though, the sewing of them is a pain.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.