The Sewing Place

Pocket Guide to Schmetz Machine Needles

Greybird

Pocket Guide to Schmetz Machine Needles
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »
I expect most of you might have seen this before, but I hadn't. I found a pack of needles in my overlocker kit that didn't show the code for overlocker needles and I went online to check if they might perhaps have been an equivalent  (they weren't!). I came across this which struck me as very useful.
I always buy Schmetz, but tend always to buy the same needle types and hadn't realised that there were so many different ones. Thought someone else might might find it useful too.

www.schmetzneedles.com/learning/pdf/ABC-brochure.pdf

* Link no longer hosted by Schmetz website!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 13:09:17 PM by Iminei »

Acorn

Re: Machine needles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 13:02:05 PM »
Ooh, thank you - that is very useful.

I realised recently that I have 8 to 10 machine needles stuck in my pin cushion, which means they have been changed because I needed a different type of needle, not because they were old.  A very stupid thing to do, since it meant I had no idea what sort of needles they were.  However, they are mostly Schmetz needles, so I should be able to work out what they are from the colour coding. :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

Re: Pocket Guide to Schmetz Machine Needles
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 14:45:49 PM »
Thanks for the edit @Francesca - much better!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 18:17:00 PM »
Thank you for that Greybird.  I usually compare the orphan needles in the pincushion with the unused ones in the boxes.  I'd realised that different needle types had a colour but don't think I realised that there were different colours for the sizes hence my confusion sometimes.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 18:41:04 PM »
I never knew there was such a thing as a double eye needle  :o

Excellent guide, thank you Greybird.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 05:26:02 AM »
I actually have the little commercially printed pocket guide. Can't remember where we got them. Did you notice on the PDF that they also have an app for checking? Gotta love the modern world. Too bad I don't have a smart phone.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 08:41:22 AM »
Thanks for this. I always play safe and buy Janome needles for my Janome. Might try these.

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 19:50:54 PM »
Thanks for this, very useful. I'd realised the needles were colour coded but was confused by them. There's also an Android app which I've just downloaded.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Esme866

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 06:58:36 AM »
This is great! 

Did anyone else notice there is a needle recommended for "poor quality thread". :S

I also didn't realize that there was an extra wide double needle. Need to see if my machine will accommodate that.

mums sewing machine

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 18:20:54 PM »
Just come across this - so useful- thank you x
No such thing as too much fabric

So Chic

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »
@Sheilago
Schmetz make the needles for Bernina so you might find that your Janome needles are also made by Schmetz.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
WOW ... Never knew there were colours on the needles ...

I can see the colours on the Janome needles but have never noticed colours on the schmetz,
I use the Janomes because I can easily see the colours.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is actually much difference between "Stretch" needles and "Jersey"  I seem to have both in my stash

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »
Stretch is generally used for fabric with elastane (Lycra) in it.  I generally get away with jersey or ballpoint needles on my jersey with elastane fabric. 

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 12:47:36 PM »
@Greybird's original link has gone missing so I thought I'd pop this in. I found it very informative. Skip through the first bit.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!