The Sewing Place

Here we go again

Gernella

Here we go again
« on: September 05, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Over the last few months I've made two jackets:

https://sewdirect.com/acatalog/McCalls-7694.html

and https://www.wafflepatterns.com/product-page/moto-jacket-kaneel

and just started on another for winter.  With it being a bit cooler yesterday I wore the McCalls to go out in, the Waffle I'd worn before. 

So feeling pleased with myself with two successes, just why did I spend last night looking for some good quality suede to make the Waffle one again, when there is no way I can start it while at least February next year.  When I eventually found what I really liked and was ready to buy, my brain finally clicked back into gear and I stopped myself.  What is worst is that now I've found what I want, it will nibble away at me until I do buy. :fish:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

tumblina

Re: Here we go again
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
I love having made coats! They are the longest lasting, favourite makes. The making of them however...

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 11:59:33 AM »
Love them both Gernella, esp the McCalls.

How did you find it sizewise and were the instructions good?

I'm putting it on the list for the next McCalls sale. :D

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 12:04:25 PM »
So many people are scared of making coats, but I think they're one of the easiest things to make.

They are stable, wool-type fabrics are very forgiving when sewn generally. They don't have to fit perfectly, most of the sizing issues you might have will be lost in the large amount of ease. You can add pockets and buttons and whatnot exactly as you like it. And they last and last and last.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 15:13:17 PM »
Love them both Gernella, esp the McCalls.

How did you find it sizewise and were the instructions good?

I'm putting it on the list for the next McCalls sale. :D

The McCalls @Ellabella  was very straight forward.  I made a size 14 and it fits nicely.  Only problem I had was the snaps, I got the heavy duty kind in error.  When I do it again I think I would get rid of the dip at the back, I'm not enthralled with that although I can't see it when on.  I would also have preferred another colour as well instead of boring beige.

The Kaneel I did to get me used to the instructions in preparation for the Tosti.  I really love this kind of jacket, especially as I love zips in anything.  I was doing most of it when it was very hot and at the time it seemed a bit too snug, but now the weather is back to normal it fits fine although having said that I think I might increase the seams next time on the bottom part.  Also the sleeves are quite narrow (yet the sleeve lining was much larger).  I ditched the sleeve lining but next time I'll increase the seams on the sleeves as well.

As long as you have done most things before, welt pockets, zip pockets, plackets, the instructions are good, the only thing that takes a hit is your printer as I didn't want to keep looking at a screen while working.  Of the two jackets I think I like this one the best although it is in white drill.

Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Seweasy

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
Love those jackets @Gernella, I haven't made a coat in years, the last one I made I think I was about 17 years old, maybe it's time for me to have a go at another, as I'm now 53....as for not buying the fabric you liked, my resolution is always BUY..(hence my signature line and avatar  :))..afterall, they may not have it when you need it.... >:)
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »
Unfortunately @Seweasy, at the moment everything is nicely fold in and out of the way.  I've now reached storage capacity.  One easement might be to get rid of leftover scraps, some around 1/4 a meter, which I have kept just in case  they came in useful.  Sometimes they do, especially on odd bits of lining fabric.  There are two large Curver baskets full of them.  I might have to consider a little clear out.

Seweasy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 16:06:46 PM »
@Gernella ...Noooo never a clear out...just add it under the sofa cushions...they'll never notice.... 0_0 No seriously, I agree with you and I must admit I daren't go into fabric shop, to browse anymore...I go in for what I need and then head straight back out for the door... 0_0 0_0...
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....