The Sewing Place

Wrestling with an octopus...

Lincoln hobbit

Wrestling with an octopus...
« on: September 06, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »
I'm just (attempting) to quilt my first large quilt. Rolling sides in the approved manner (ish) but it's not easy.  >< Using walking foot purchased at FoQ so it looks alright I think? But I'm losing track of where I'm up to...

Ploshkin

Re: Wrestling with an octopus...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »
I've only done a couple and nothing bigger than 60" x 60" @Lincoln hobbit  but it is definitely easier to just stuff rather than roll.  I also found I needed to think about how I was going to approach each bit so that I wasn't stuffing more than half the width through at any time. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 16:37:53 PM by Iminei »
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
Another stuffer here Lincoln hobbit. I find rolling the quilt sides makes it very stiff and awkward to manage. The key is to take your time and just concentrate on one section at a time. Stop frequently to readjust and rearrange making sure there is absolutely no drag anywhere and you have support to the left and in front. And then, one day, suddenly, when you are in the depths of despair thinking you will never get the wretched thing finished you will stop, look and be amazed to find that you are quilting your last section! And in that joyous moment you'll start thinking about your next quilt!! Or contemplate taking up origami instead!:) :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »
I recently machine quilted my first large quilt (By The Sea).  I bought special plastic roll clips and arranged it all with the sides rolled and clipped ready to start in the middle. 

Nope.  Just nope.  The clips wouldn't fit through the harp space.  The stiff, rolled sides wanted to push me backwards off my chair.

Stuffing is the way to go.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 13:43:15 PM »
i always hand quilt....I just can't get on with a walking foot
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 15:12:18 PM »
Quilt As You Go.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 16:10:15 PM »
Another stuffer here... just finished a large one, it’s in the washer at the moment, I’ll post pictures when it’s done

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 16:39:51 PM »
You think about rolling and might, just might roll the first couple of times .... but it'll soon descend into stuffing the blooming thing however you can through the harp ... or is that just me???
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 17:19:13 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 17:00:07 PM »
I stuff big quilts through too. I also make sure that all the clutter from my table is cleared and I polish the machine and sometimes the table with silicone to make it extra easy to push the quilt through.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 17:47:08 PM »
All done..

Deafoldbat

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 19:21:56 PM »
If you're doing long straight lines down the middle of the quilt, rolling will help a bit, but you have to roll it tight enough to fit through the machine and stop every few inches to coax it along. After a while you'll get bored with this and resort to  'jam and cram'. ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 19:24:28 PM by Deafoldbat »

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 19:28:11 PM »
HaHa @Deafoldbat I read that as jam and cream!  0_0 That made sense to me.  :cake:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 05:53:43 AM »
Rolling lasted about 2 minutes chez moi.  :S I stuff and swear. I only do throws. I mostly do stitch near the ditch because I don't like wrestling. Let me add my machine is a Brother SE400, which is sort of a 3/4 size machine and the harp? Ha. I'm considering one of the cheap Brother quilting machines as they have a pretty roomy harp so I could do more free motion. They come with all the quilting feet you could desire.  Four throws and it would pay for itself vs. having a long arm quilter do it for me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:02:49 AM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
Thank you all. I have to say the stuffing method is easier. Jam and cr(e)am is a good description and I had pretty much given up on the rolling before I wrote yesterday. I also read it with the added e and was looking for scones.  :cake: Nearly finished it yesterday. Just need to decide on a binding colour now and then it's done.  :D