The Sewing Place

Anyone made panniers before?

rowe1311

Re: Anyone made panniers before?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 19:57:19 PM »
Here is a drawing of where I think I am going.  It is not a particularly great drawing, but it is probably better to see an image than try and describe it with words. 

I have an old foam camping mat that I have kept for various uses, and now thinking that would give some support to the back, but not too rigid that it would feel uncomfortable when carrying it.  The flexi chopping boards also sound like a really good idea and would be the ideal support for the clips and hooks, but I only want a strip of it to fit into a casing.  Would corset boning be a similar strength?  If I was to create a casing for that to slot into, I could then attach the clips somehow through the fabric and boning. 

These look like the most suitable clips https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-csystem-pannier-hooks-pack-of-4/.  I just don't know how to attach them.  All these companies look like they use their own unique clip system that they state is only compatible with their pannier systems.  I have no idea whether they would work stand alone or not.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 21:12:57 PM »
T'other half has just fetched his Carradice pannier - those clips fit in a metal channel as pics below, the little plastic bits slot in the ends of the channel.  The metal channel is pop-riveted on to the bag.
So probably not any good for you  :(

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 21:22:04 PM »
Ortlieb system - rail and hooks.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 21:57:46 PM »
Rixen-Kaul system.

If you just attach two separate hooks, would you be able to make a strong enough fixing to the bag, or would they just tear/pull off?   Most panniers do have a rail for the hooks. 

Lizzy777

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
Have a look in the Lisa Lam book 'A bag for all reasons'.

The front page shows a 'A bicycle double-pannier bag'. The pattern and full instructions are in the book.

If you press the 'Look inside' on the Amazon page there are some more pictures inside you can preview'. I bought the book a long time ago meaning to make them for a present but never got round to it yet but have seen lots of great reviews on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bag-All-Reasons-all-new-occasion/dp/1446301850/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536483009&sr=1-1&keywords=a+bag+for+all+reasons

lizzy

rowe1311

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 13:57:37 PM »
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pHYAAOSweEFbDw0h/s-l1600.jpg

I have found this and it uses the rixen and caul twist fittings that bodgeit suggested.  I don't know if they are fixing it to the rail as well.  If they are the rail doesn't seem that long and if I did something similar it wouldn't be too annoying when carrying.  Thank you bodgeit for showing me an example of what they look like.  The 'pannier system' makes a lot more sense now. 

I think the hook and rail type panniers are the best ones, but a lot of cheaper panniers do just have a board on the back piece which the clips must just be screwed into.  I will have to decide whether I make a fancy pannier system or use the flexi chopping board to make cheaper ones.  They will never be carrying vast weights, but I want to make sure it will stay on and that it is comfy enough to carry.

Lizzy, I had thought of the double panniers as I have a similar pattern from pennineoutdoor, but I am looking for something that can be carried around when I am not on my bike and just looks like an ordinary bag.  It does look a lovely book, and some of the bag patterns are quite tempting.