The Sewing Place

[FOR SALE] Testing the water: Singer SM cabinet 42 Art Deco

Celestine

[FOR SALE] Testing the water: Singer SM cabinet 42 Art Deco
« on: September 07, 2018, 17:08:00 PM »
Just dipping a toe in to see if anyone's interested in this sort of thing.  I have a blonde art deco Singer Sewing Machine Cabinet which is style 42. I brought it back with me from the US together with another deco ( dark wood) which I have restored. Im really pleased with how the dark one turned out and hoped to restore the blonde one but am going to be moving house in the next few months and so am tempted to sell it as it is. It has a ring on the top where a previous owner had a plant on it and a strip of cosmetic damage along the bottom edge from being in a damp basement ( again long before my time) . Structurally it's fine... and of course it's as rare as hens teeth here as these cabinets were never made for the British market. I find the positioning much more comfortable than British made vintage sewing machine cabinets as there s more freedom to sit directly under the needle rather than in the middle of the machine. I do also have 2 beautiful 1950s machines from the US but i will write a seperate thread for them as they would need rewiring ( and as such, i fear, doomed).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 20:45:03 PM by Francesca »

Efemera

Re: Testing the water: Singer SM cabinet 42 Art Deco
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 17:18:47 PM »
I dont suppose one is a Rocketeer?

Celestine

Re: Testing the water: Singer SM cabinet 42 Art Deco
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 20:47:21 PM »
No - very similar but not the fab iconic shape. I 'll get the model numbers tomorrow. ( they are packed away)One is the 301 that has a cradle that it lifts quickly in and out of so that you can have it fixed in the desk but then carry it off to the quilting class after unclipping it. I think the other is a 403, but I 'll double check. Both were in tip top condition but sadly with US voltage.

Iminei

Re: [FOR SALE] Testing the water: Singer SM cabinet 42 Art Deco
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 05:40:15 AM »
Pics would really help here Celestine !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again