The Sewing Place

Couture Actuelle

jen

Couture Actuelle
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
In a tearing hurry because the dog who’d just had his stitches out was in the car I picked up a copy of this mag in the supermarket and missed that it was for plus sizes. I’d just flicked it open, saw a jacket I loved on a model and bunged it in the basket. It’s lowest size is bust 114 cm. Is it going to be worth trying to scale it down? I’m kind of tempted to give it a try, has anyone else down or upsized a pattern substantially? I’ve gone a couple of sizes outside the nest before, but this would be a bigger hike.

Gernella

Re: Couture Actuelle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 10:08:44 AM »
When I was poor (an apprentice), I got a bargain lot from a mail order company.  It usually came out of the blue, you picked anything you wanted and sent the rest back.  Anyway there was a dress which must have been around a size 20 when I was around a 10 ( <3), long, dark red and black and it was just coming up to Halloween.  My sewing skills were a bit limited then so I just took the easiest option and cut the sides down.  It must have looked fine because I later shortened it and wore it a few times.  I have no memory of what the bust area was like since I had none at the time, but it must have worked out fine.

I suppose really it depends on the jacket styling, some times the simplest option usually works best (hacking off sides and shoulders).  There again I would imagine a lot of people reading this will throw their hands up in horror and give you some sensible advice.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 14:19:42 PM »
Could you compare the pattern pieces with ones you already have and know they fit? It might give some idea. Or take your measurements and compare? You'll be able to see the difference between the sizes on the new pattern and allow for that?

There must be a way round the problem. Probably a combination of the above!

jen

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 20:24:47 PM »
I’m wondering about ‘striking off’ several more sizes, reducing each piece by the same amounts as the sizes offered increase, if you see what I mean. So where the pattern piece increases by 1cm per size, decrease by that amount per size. This might be the case at the side seams. Where the pieces increase by just a couple of mm. copy that measurement. I’ve done this with reducing by one size, but would there be problems with converting from a plus size nest of sizes to a regular set?

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 20:28:48 PM »
That's the approach I was thinking of. If the plus size block is different then it might not work, which is when comparing with an existing, correctly sized pattern could help.

Is it a fitted jacket, or loose?

jen

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 09:49:59 AM »
It’s quite loose, which probably makes it more likely to work. I think your idea of comparing the pattern I end up with to a pattern in the right size is good, but I suspect I can’t get away without doing a toile, because the sleeve construction is different.

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 17:34:22 PM »
Good luck!