The Sewing Place

Portable Sewing Machine

Sewbee

Re: Portable Sewing Machine
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 17:45:34 PM »
They are common enough to turn up locally, I think the old 700 is much the same as the 801, but with out buttonholer and straight stitch - zigzag only, no cam wich means less metal.  If they look nice they are most likely no used much, the finish on these are rather delicate. Wear marks on the base and freearm comes very easily. I would buy a fix up machine, repairs are worth it on these models. If the price is right it's not too risky. I think there's an 800 equivalent to the 700.

@arrow Good to know. I was concerned about fix-up costs if i dont buy in first-class condition. I was envisioning the cost might be more than the machine.

arrow

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 17:50:47 PM »
If seller can give a stitch sample I assume they are fine. I know plastic gears can crack, but at the right price the worst thing that can happen is repair or in for a service. A nice condition machine is worth it. With a bit of luck, all a fix up machine needs is a good clean up; I have only had my 730 and 900 Nova service a couple of times. I don't really recommend it, but they aren't used that much. I hesistate a bit more on very worn machines, but dirt, grime, staining from old oil and thread mess I can alway do something with.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 17:54:58 PM by arrow »

Sewbee

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 18:00:07 PM »
Now to find one in reasonable condition at a reasonable price ...

SkoutSews

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 18:13:51 PM »
Had you considered a Frister and Rossmann cub? There are a few around second hand. There's also a more modern version, but I don't know anything about it. A friend has an early 1980s version and has used it for years for everything from clothes to heavy upholstery fabrics.

Though with the vintage machines, it all depends on finding something local at the right price.