The Sewing Place

Portable Sewing Machine

Sewbee

Portable Sewing Machine
« on: September 08, 2018, 20:50:31 PM »
Hi all! I recently found a group of sewers who meet once a month which I really need to get me back into sewing. I just can’t seem to do it without other sewers. Anyway, last week i went to the meeting and bought a luggage trolley so I could take my Bernina 570QE. Well, there were about 20 steps going up to the entrance to the building so i had to take it off the trolley and carry it. It is SO heavy! Plus i am dubious about taking it in the car to meetups because it is computerized. So ... i am in the market for an inexpensive machine I can take with me, perhaps 15 lb or around that. I think my Bernina is about 12 kg which I believe is about 24 lb.  i am not too interested in fancy features but would like it to do a one-step buttonhole and have stretch stitches. My main concern is quality and reliability.

I have been spoiled by Bernina for 30+ years so I am sure i am hard to please
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 21:10:52 PM by Sewbee »

Sewbee

Re: Portable Sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 21:03:17 PM »
Sorry for all the typos above. Having trouble with the upgraded keyboard on ipad. Trying to correct the errors above but system keeps giving error message. Will find out what is wrong and then correct.

PS - corrected!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 21:09:06 PM by Sewbee »

Mr Twingo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 21:56:27 PM »
Elna is owned by Janome; the Elna eXplore 340 is mechanically identical to the Janome Sewist 525s, which is a popular machine. I own this model (though it's currently for sale), and can vouch for its quality. Love stitches, easy to use, typical Janome quality.

Husqvarna is own SVP – Singer Viking Pfaff – so the Husqvarna of today is not Husqvarna of old.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of SMD's models; in fact, I recently bought the SMD 5018 heavy duty sewing machine. Superb service from everyone I corresponded with at the company.

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 22:13:35 PM »
Thank you, Mr. Twingo. Do you know the difference between the SMD machines and straight Janone machines?

I will certainly remember you have one for sale after i work out what machine I want. It is very confusing.

I know there is also a Janome Jem 760 and an Elna Lotus. They are 3/4 size, I believe, but are light - and also increase the price a bit. The weight is right, though.

I only do garment sewing, lingerie sewing and occasional curtains but I dobt I will do curtains at a meetup.

Is Elna stitch quality equal to or better than Janome? Probably the same if they are the same company, though.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 22:15:38 PM by Sewbee »

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 22:19:51 PM »
@Sewbee why don't you give SMD a call and explain your needs to them.

i've always found them very helpful and they do take the time to listen and explain things well.

I think the SMD machines are just regular Janomes with their logo on but I could be wrong.

I'm just jealous you've found a sewing group that might motivate you, nothing like that round here.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 22:25:22 PM »
SMD 5018 weighs 10 kg, not very far from your current Bernina at 12? Even the new Lotus weights 10 kg I think. The old Berninas 701 and 801 are around 8 kg. The old 900 Nova is listed at 7 kg, case in cluded. It has a practical handle on top of the machine. I should weigh mine to double check this. This is around the point were the machine loose stability and quality, it all depends upon how much minimal weight matters and what you can get by with. It's also one of the reason straight stitchers like Elna 1 and Singer Featherweight have kept their popuarlity; minimal simple machines,  but all metal, solid construction around 6-7 kg. I think there are some new acceptable models at around 5-6 kg, but I doubt they ever will be someones favorite, at best favorite portable.

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 22:28:18 PM »
@Ellabella  i asked around on Facebook for sewing groups in my area and someone responded. It is about 45 minutes from me but a really nice small group of people.

I did call SMD and the woman was very helpful. I should have asked what machines they recommended, though, instead of picking out a few and pricing them. I have to call back next week anyway so I will ask.

annieg

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 22:30:27 PM »
Hi
I have a Brother 130 for sale if you are interested.
It has a plastic carcass so is really light.
130 stitches and 1 step button hole.
Hard cover.  Walking foot.
Happy to send pics if you are interested.
Kind regards
Annieg

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 22:33:45 PM »
SMD 5018 weighs 10 kg, not very far from your current Bernina at 12? Even the new Lotus weights 10 kg I think. The old Berninas 701 and 801 are around 8 kg. The old 900 Nova is listed at 7 kg, case in cluded. It has a practical handle on top of the machine. I should weigh mine to double check this. This is around the point were the machine loose stability and quality, it all depends upon how much minimal weight matters and what you can get by with. It's also one of the reason straight stitchers like Elna 1 and Singer Featherweight have kept their popuarlity; minimal simple machines,  but all metal, solid construction around 6-7 kg. I think there are some new acceptable models at around 5-6 kg, but I doubt they ever will be someones favorite, at best favorite portable.

Thank you, @arrow . I didnt realize the Bernina 801 is a bit lghter, but then they are probably around £500, too. I know my 830 that I paid over £600 for weighs an absolute ton. I might look at 801s on eBay and price them.

I totally agree about how much can you reduce the weight before you start reducing quality and stability. I am sure weight reduction equals more plastic parts!

arrow

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 00:57:48 AM »
I think you should be able to find a vintage Bernina 801 or for around £100-140, depending on condition. I would not pay more than £50 for any fix up machine. The only problem with specific vintage models is it can take time before one turns up. Newer Berninas are more expensive, even two-four year old machines tend to cost quite a bit more. Any Nova is around 40 years old. I think my maximum for a vintage model is £300, regardless of brand and accessories, generally £150. 

For comparison; a beige (or black) aluminium Singer 201 (201K23) weighs around 10 kg. It's the smoothest work horse around, even today. It's straight stitch only though.  Several of the new (current) Singer Fashion Mate models weight around 7 kg, they have all kinds of stitches, but aren't as capable when it comes to heavier fabric and thread weights. Even sheer fabrics like chiffon and slik can act up on these. Ideally we should test sew before we buy.

Many of the simpler machines use feed dog cover plates, and doesn't drop the feed dogs. If you are used to Bernina top models you probably expect a lot of a machine; know that some of the light weights and affordable models some are very happy with aren't exactly what I call dependable or nice to work on. Some of them are well within acceptable, it all depens upon what we expect from the machine.

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
Frank Nutt has a couple of second hand Bernette/Bernina machines on their website. The Bernette 15 is ~7.2kg and the Bernina 220 is ~8.2kg.
https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/used-sewing-machines

Mr Twingo

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 10:10:30 AM »
Thank you, Mr. Twingo. Do you know the difference between the SMD machines and straight Janone machines?

Is Elna stitch quality equal to or better than Janome? Probably the same if they are the same company, though.

The SMD machines differ only in that they have the letters SMD applied to them! My SMD 5018 is nigh on identical to the Janome HD3000.

And Elna stitch quality is the same as Janome.

Do call SMD again. I think it was David who answered my technical questions about the SMD 5018; I honestly wasn't expecting a response due to the nature of my queries. Also, ask for a discount  :P

maliw

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 19:47:24 PM »
I can vouch for SMD -being lucky enough to be near enough to visit in person. I went when I wanted to upgrade my overlocker, I wasn't pushed into buying something that I wasn't sure about. I spoke to Russell and I think it was a lady called Wendy and they were very helpful. I've previously e-mailed them  and they couldn't supply what I wanted but were able to point me in the right direction.
Yes Elna and Janome are the same 'stable', I've got both machines and love them. Yes SMD and Janome are the same machines just an SMD brand applied. I grew up with Brother machines but went off them - don't know why.
I hope you find a good portable machine.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sewbee

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 17:21:40 PM »
Okay, I have been doing lots of thinking about this. My Bernina 570qe is 26 lb and much too heavy to haul around and up stairs to sewing meetups. My 830 Record is 20 lb and will give that a try but I think that is still too much for me. Earlier this year I tore a bicep muscle and it took about 7 months to heal and i definitely  don’t want to tear it again. The Activa 220 at a dealer that was mentioned above is a possibility if it is only 8.5 kg but then that is only about two pounds less than the 830. The best answer at 15 pounds is a Bernina 801 Sport. I found one at a dealer but it is for collection only. It is second hand and they don’t have the box so they said they cannot insure it during transit. There are a few on eBay by private owners. There is one from a dealer but it is a dealer that charges top price all the time no matter what he posts.

And so I will wait until I find one in great condition at a reasonable price that can be sent by courier.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 18:04:11 PM by Sewbee »

arrow

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 17:35:26 PM »
They are common enough to turn up locally, I think the old 700 is much the same as the 801, but with out buttonholer and straight stitch - zigzag only, no cam wich means less metal.  If they look nice they are most likely no used much, the finish on these are rather delicate. Wear marks on the base and freearm comes very easily. I would buy a fix up machine, repairs are worth it on these models. If the price is right it's not too risky. I think there's an 800 equivalent to the 700.