The Sewing Place

Stretch lace trim

Mama likes to make

Stretch lace trim
« on: March 25, 2017, 20:23:21 PM »
I recently used some stretch lace trim on a sleeve of a top and to lengthen some vests. I have exhausted the colours available locally and was wondering if anyone had any online suppliers they cold suggest please?
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Mama likes to make

Re: Stretch lace trim
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 18:59:38 PM »
Hope you don't mind me bumping this but I'm not having any luck and I've exhausted the bricks and mortar shops here. I can find very narrow (ribbon width) stretch lace or full width but what I really want is say 3 inches and wider if possible.

2018 fabric used 12m.

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 20:23:41 PM »
I've just ordered some from "The Place for Lace" on eBay. It's not arrived yet so I can't vouch for the quality, but there is a good selection.
Procrastination get behind me

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
I don't know if you've already looked, but Sewing Chest have a range of stretch lace in a fairly good selection of colours.

I've purchased from them before and have no complaints, although I've not tried any of their lace.

Sandra.
xxx

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »
I was just going to come in and suggest "The Place for Lace" on eBay too. I have bought a lot from them and it's always been lovely. They only sell in set lots of sizes though (e.g 2m, 5m, 7m).

Mama likes to make

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
Brilliant thank you so much for all the help.
2018 fabric used 12m.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 15:58:59 PM »
Thanks from me too. Just finished browsing through their many stretch laces and I've now several under consideration.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 18:58:50 PM »
Just to let you know I've received my lace from The Place for Lace and really pleased, will use again.
Procrastination get behind me

Mama likes to make

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 19:15:28 PM »
Thank you so much for updating. I have a full cart and I'm just trying to decide what I must have!
2018 fabric used 12m.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 20:18:38 PM »
Please come back and share pictures with us! I love looking at lace.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
Picked mine up from the post office today (ordered last Sunday night and I used a parcel forwarding service to avail of free UK postage so pretty quick turnaround considering). Really happy with what I got.

2018 fabric used 12m.

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 21:08:32 PM »
That looks like a very nice haul.

I'm intrigued by your use of the parcel forwarding service to get get free postage. How does that work?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 21:48:10 PM »
I wonder if Mama (sorry, not calling you my Mama!) means that they can use a parcel service to get UK things posted forwards to Ireland for free/cheap without having to pay for "international" or more expensive postage. I know you can do similar for the US.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 21:58:17 PM »
Thats exactly it. There's a few different ones, the one I use is run by An Post (the Irish postal service). They give you an identifying code to put after your name and a UK address (A warehouse somewhere in the UK) so you can avail of free shipping or to use sellers that won't ship to Ireland. They then deliver it to your nominated post office where you pay €3.75 on collecting it.

Another company does similar but would leave it in a locker located somewhere like a petrol station where you can access it with a code 24 hours a day.
2018 fabric used 12m.