The Sewing Place

Weight of fabric in gsm

Lachica

Weight of fabric in gsm
« on: August 25, 2018, 15:15:04 PM »
This chart is more detailed than others I've found. Useful when ordering fabric online. http://www.distinctivesewing.com/tag/fabric+weight+chart
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Efemera

Re: Weight of fabric in gsm
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 20:14:26 PM »
I think it was much easier when the world wasn’t made out of polyester...every fabric had a name and was fairly consistent.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 23:09:13 PM »
I think it was much easier when the world wasn’t made out of polyester...every fabric had a name and was fairly consistent.

Thats so very true. :S

That link gives fabric weights in gsm and osy, and the needle sizes in metric and imperial/USA sizes but the thread weights are all related to cotton thread and cotton count (number of 840 yard hanks obtained from 1 lb fibres).  Poly threads, if they have a number on the spool, are usually measured by the metric number, Nm which is the number of 1,000 metre hanks obtained from 1Kg fibres.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 18:31:02 PM »
If only all internet shops would put the weight of the fabric in their description life would be easier. I have ordered medium weight fabric only to find when it arrives it is really light weight.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 18:40:30 PM »
Agree @sewmuchmore. @Efemera I've been caught out by fabrics having different names for the same fabric, maybe US vs UK but also when ordering from India. It took a lot of searching to find that chart to relate gsm to fabrics that I knew - lawn, voile, batiste seem to be interchangeable terms now. I've taken to asking the seller for the gsm, maybe if enough of us do this they'll catch on.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.