The Sewing Place

Sew Direct?

Efemera

Sew Direct?
« on: September 09, 2018, 16:16:27 PM »
Anyone subscribe?.... just wondering if it’s worth it. There’s two Vogue patterns I want at the moment.

Tamnymore

Re: Sew Direct?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 16:29:48 PM »
Others may well disagree but I don't think it is worth it. I used to subscribe but stopped a few years ago when their prices went up. The price reduction is now 40% not 50% and you pay £1 postage per pattern unless your total is over £20.

I buy a lot of Vogues and I wait until pattern sales - sorry you have just missed one - or I buy 3 Vogues at a time from the US website when they have a sale. I'm a member of their ClubBMV @ $9.99 pa and this gives an extra reduction. Even with price increases and the pound dropping against the dollar this works out at about £8.50 per pattern. But this is only economic if you buy 3 Vogues at a time. Any fewer than 3 then the postage makes it uneconomic, any more than 3 then you run  the risk of paying customs charges. The patterns take 10 days to arrive. I've bought loads this way - I just buy them in 3s! I often get them well ahead of their arrival in UK sites and shops.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 16:31:51 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 17:33:03 PM »
I no longer subscribe to any magazines because of the law of diminishing returns.  Pattern sales come around often and I would wait until then. 

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 17:40:03 PM »
I subscribe. I have bought very few patterns in the last couple of years - nothing I've liked much - but I do find the magazine interesting. There is usually a detailed article on how to do something and I've learned quite a few things from it. Seeing larger photos of the made up clothes from the patterns is useful too.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 18:25:09 PM »
Does anyone know when the next Vogue sale is?

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 19:49:16 PM »
Well we have only just finished a Vogue sale a few days ago and Simplicity is on offer now. You'd expect them to cycle through McC, Kwiksew and Butterick before they get back to Vogue.....
It's a while since Sewdirect have had a flash sale but if they do have another I would look out for one on Black Friday in November. That's just a complete guess though.  :)

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
Well I’ve subbed...two free Vogue patterns so it seemed worth it for those.

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 09:51:55 AM »
You can always cancel your subscripton at any time and you still have the free patterns.. :devil:

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »
The October 2018 edition of Sew Today arrived this morning, and for those interested in FBA there is a a six page article on this by  Kathryn Brenne.  The article covers both darted and princess seamed patterns, and there are lots of photographs of the process.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 11:10:42 AM »
Got my magazine and two free pattrns yesterday ... they’ve sent the wrong size, their fault. Rang them and resize will be in the post today... good customer service so far

coffeeandcake

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »
Their customer service is very good. Some good stuff in October's magazine.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 18:27:40 PM »
Got my magazine and two free pattrns yesterday ... they’ve sent the wrong size, their fault. Rang them and resize will be in the post today... good customer service so far

Do you have to send the wrong sized patterns back? if you don't then sell them and your subscription will have been even cheaper.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 19:10:11 PM »
Do you have to send the wrong sized patterns back? if you don't then sell them and your subscription will have been even cheaper.

Unfortunately they want it back..they’re sending a prepaid envelope.