The Sewing Place

Hello Everyone, I'm Ollie.

ollie

Hello Everyone, I'm Ollie.
« on: September 10, 2018, 14:56:29 PM »
Hello,

My names Ollie, I'm from Australia but am soon leaving for the UK.

As a gift I'm sewing my girlfriend a suspender skirt before I leave. I have images of what I'd like to replicate.

Is this the appropriate place to start a thread seeking advice on this? If not, where should I be posting to on the site?

Cheers, :-)

b15erk

Re: Hello Everyone, I'm Ollie.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 15:27:50 PM »
Hi there Ollie, and welcome to TSP!

There are so many helpful people here, and we all love a challenge, so bring it on!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 17:08:44 PM »
Hi Ollie, welcome from me too. Are you planning to stay here long?

Now I assumed it was lingerie/underwear you are making so you definitely want to have a look in both the subforums that Francesca mentioned.

When you log onto the site you'll see the long list and in the section headed The Emporia you'll find In the wardrobe for dresses etc and a litlle below that What lies beneath... for the other.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 17:13:55 PM »
Hi Ollie and welcome. Suspenders mean different things in different countries. Maybe you're thinking of a skirt with what we in UK would call braces, or maybe even a dungaree skirt. However, if you mean suspenders to hold up stockings, then it would be a suspender belt and lingerie would be the best sub-forum for your questions.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 17:15:15 PM »
A quick Google reveals this ...

Its all very Britney ... and there are sites with this stuff on called Dolls Kill (not kidding you)

Is this sort of like that recent advert for Crunchy Nut cornflakes

Oh, and BTW Welcome Ollie!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 17:47:27 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 19:37:34 PM »
Welcome, Ollie.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 20:55:41 PM »
Hi and welcome Ollie.

I think @Iminei has supplied a picture of what you mean by 'suspender skirt' but if you have images, they would be helpful with pattern suggestions.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 23:43:38 PM »
Hi Ollie - and welcome from me too. Looking forward to seeing what you're sewing. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

ollie

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 00:54:17 AM »
Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

Sorry for the confusion, the suspender skirt is more of what Iminei posted.

Here is the skirt I'd be replicating.
As you can see its a gathered skirt with a mid rise and criss-crossing suspender straps.

:-)

Stitches

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 07:54:16 AM »
Welcome Ollie

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »
@ollie: pretty much what Iminei posted, although you example is less flattering. 0_0  It's basically just a skirt with straps added and should not be too challenging to replicate.  Personally, I don't like gathering, but the choice would be yours and maybe your girlfriend's to get something she would really wear and appreciate.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »
I dont think it helps that the 'model' in Ollies pic is standing in the 'Iminei trying on clothes pose' (think Harry Enfield's Kevin but on a 55 year old ... Its sooo unfair!) and that it seems miles too big for her ...

I much more liked the chichi skater skirt  version ... Oh for legs that could peep out of that (oh and a body that would fit into it!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

ollie

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:52 AM »
Yes the added length adds a touch of maturity to such a youthful style, it's a very Japanese aesthetic. Something you'd see a young woman wearing in the streets of Tokyo. It's one of my girlfriend's favourite brands (Comme des Garcons), so I'm sure she will like it.

With this skirt it has two side seams with an in seam pocket on the right side and the zip on the left seam. Once deciding how gathered the skirt should be, should I sew up these two seams with the pocket and zip before starting any sewing with the waistband?

Thanks so much for the responses, finding this site very helpful for an amateur sewer. :-)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:46:50 AM by ollie »

maliw

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Hi Ollie nice to meet you. :)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula