The Sewing Place

Hello Everyone, I'm Ollie.

ollie

Re: Hello Everyone, I'm Ollie.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:52 AM »
Yes the added length adds a touch of maturity to such a youthful style, it's a very Japanese aesthetic. Something you'd see a young woman wearing in the streets of Tokyo. It's one of my girlfriend's favourite brands (Comme des Garcons), so I'm sure she will like it.

With this skirt it has two side seams with an in seam pocket on the right side and the zip on the left seam. Once deciding how gathered the skirt should be, should I sew up these two seams with the pocket and zip before starting any sewing with the waistband?

Thanks so much for the responses, finding this site very helpful for an amateur sewer. :-)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:46:50 AM by ollie »

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »
Pocket, yes. Zip, no. In my opinion that is. You'd want to fold the waistband down over the zip on the inside to make it neat at the top so the zip would come at that time.

However I'd personally think it better to have two even pockets on each side and put the zip in the centre back. It just seems it'd be more balanced that way?

I'd also toy with the idea of putting buttonholes on the inner waistband and buttons on the ends of the strap so you can convert the dress into a skirt easily by removing the straps. A second nice touch would be putting sliders on the straps so you can lengthen and shorten them. This would ensure that as the fabric stretches over time they don't become too lose, but also if she wanted to wear the skirt over a thicker jumper for example the straps could be let out.

maliw

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Hi Ollie nice to meet you. :)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 15:19:32 PM »
Hi Ollie, welcome from me too 👍