The Sewing Place

Birmingham Rag Market Meets #1 #2 and #3

DementedFairy

Re: Birmingham Rag Market Meets #1 #2 and #3
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 18:11:45 PM »
Well #1 was fun- we fluctuated in numbers throughout the day, with people coming and going, and some starting at Barry's and joining us for lunch, but I got some goodies.

Yes I know, I wasn't going to buy any...but LIBERTY JERSEY AT £3/METRE?  come on...

2 khaki jersey remnants, 1 rust, one raspberry.  Liberty jersey for £3/m so I had to have a dress length.  Ultra wide curtain lining for toiles, also £3/m.  Skull buttons, zips, lace...and camembert for 50p a slab, and some nice fresh pears and limes.

Not bad, and will blog properly later!

Thanks to Pamela, Ann, Cat, Kim and Karen for the company, and the chit chat over lunch.  Noodle-icious!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 19:27:30 PM »
Got back home just after 7pm having left home at 7:30am  0_0  It was a long day and it really was just to say hello as I didn't buy so much as a reel of thread.

DF: the coat pattern that drew so much interest amongst the group is

Thanks for an entertaining day.  :flower:

DementedFairy

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 19:48:46 PM »
It was brilliant to see you [and the coat is gorgeous!]

All photographed, and blogged here
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/rag-market-at-easter/?frame-nonce=f8c1d6a04d
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 19:51:51 PM »
Ah, you are too kind.  :*

Samantha

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 21:37:15 PM »
Looks like you had a great day - what bargains!! The coat is really lovely.

Lilian

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 22:50:32 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time.  I really miss that market now I have moved out of the area, and am not good on my legs for all that walking.  I used to work in Brums centre and would go to the markets every lunchtime.  Ooh I do miss being able to do that.

Lovely coat too UR!  :D
Willing but not always able :)

DementedFairy

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
It's always fun, there's always new fabric to see, and bargains to be found.  It IS a lot of walking when you do the full tour, and I often wish Barry's had a few chairs for the creaky ones to take  a rest[meaning me]

Saturday looks to be a large group meeting, and they will want the full tour, so it will be exhausting [but fun]!
C'est moi!

DementedFairy

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
Next meet-up is tomorrow folks, just bumping this up the list [if that works!?]

1030-11 am meet in the church cafe, then a rollicking tour of fabric heaven, with a nice lunch thrown in.  At least a group of 7 tomorrow, so there will be lots of loud cooing and ooh-ing.

Joining us?  Let me know [I lost my previous list when I waved my arms around and knocked me tea over.  Ahem]
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
I wish I could come, one day I will. It's just too far for me at present, but maybe I can combine it one day with a visit to the Great North / Mids to see other half's family (Grantham, Peterborough, Lancaster).

DementedFairy

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 20:54:30 PM »
A frabjous day again- I did manage to be very good indeed.  All I bought was some interfacing, some buttons, some dress net for a 50s petticoat, and one impulse buy of 2m of lovely soft ponte/scuba for just £4/m.

However, I did enable my lovely mate to find some gorgeous stuff for her wedding dress, so much vicarious happiness ensued.

Next one will be in May, anyone want to join in?
C'est moi!

Vegegrow

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 19:00:13 PM »
Dear Fairy ... I'm going to the Rag market... Yay.....I've googled Barry's store and the route to the warehouse  but are there any stalls I shouldn't miss.... (Going on Friday).. DH and my Mum are coming too but I'm hoping to sneak off to the warehouse...Mum is 83 but she's pretty game... :ninja: DH is good but I don't think he will manage Barry's store the market and the warehouse..  |O 
:fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

DementedFairy

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 19:16:02 PM »
The only stall that has to be 'caught' is the jersey lady, and she's only there on Tuesdays!

Apart from that, start at one end, and 'upsy daisy' the aisles so you find everything.  Lots of habby, major bling at the end furthest from the church, and that's also where the African Wax fabrics are [If you can't find it, ask people to point you towards the costume shop, which is on the same side]

There aren't so many stalls outside [known as 'the row'] but worth a mooch if you want to find very cheap and cheerful.  Lots of tat, but some happiness can always be found.  that's where I usually get extra wide curtain lining for toiles and underlining]

Unless you are looking for something very specific, Fancy Silk Store can be overwhelming, but at least it's still near loos and food.  Stoke up [and have a wee] before heading to Barry's though!  Oh yes, Barry's IS the warehouse, don't get mixed up with FSS which is just over the road from the markets.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your haul xx
C'est moi!

Sandra

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »
I always feel that I've gone the 'wrong way' when I go to Barry's. I rarely meet a soul when I walk down there.

It seems so odd after leaving all the crowds and noise of the markets behind and then to feel so alone....

Have fun, Vegegrow. It's a shame you'll miss the jersey lady, but Barry's is good for bargains too.

Sandra.
xxx

DementedFairy

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
Yes, that's why I always offer to lead people round, chuntering on about how it always feels like that when you go on your own!  I'm sure it's full of activity at 5am, when the wholesale markets are busy, but not so much at civilised hours!
C'est moi!

Vegegrow

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 21:58:25 PM »
Thanks Fairy and Sandra ... :*
Just made a list...  :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz