The Sewing Place

Vintage lightweight portables

arrow

Vintage lightweight portables
« on: September 10, 2018, 15:45:33 PM »
It's a subjec that returns to me, and I guess there aren't many common models around. I'm not very strict with the definition either, but with in the range of reasonably priced machines that turn up now and then. There's a few straight stitchers, I'm not sure how many zigzaggers there are. The Featherweightis  a gem and the most sought after favorite. Elna 1, the Grasshopper is surpisingly sturdy, I just missed one last week. I held a beige aluminium 201K23 in a case the other day, around 10 kg and not too heavy for a solid, full size machine. I think the Featherweight in it's case is around 6 kg or just under?  There are a few other small portables, but they are few and far between here; Favta, Cresta,... and I don't know how they are to work on.  Berninas turn up now and then, the simple models like 700 and 801 are not a bad option at all. Has anyone had a 125?

Last night I came across this page, an aluminium 185K, very close to a 99. Few of us bothers about a portable straight stitcher, we often need the zigzag and other functions, but I wonder how common it is? If it weighs 6 or 7 kg I would be interested.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 15:58:32 PM by arrow »

Roger

Re: Vintage lightweight portables
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 18:25:54 PM »
Hi Arrow,

185s are pretty common in the U.K., I like that they look just like a mini aluminium 201.

Might be worth taking a look at the Elna Lotus too, they’re iconic and so well designed as a portable, my grandmother traveled the world with hers and did everything from alterations to upholstery.

Crestas/Ladas are supposed to be good too, very sturdy and excellent stitchers.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 21:30:13 PM »
I just have to be patient and see what turns up. There aren't that many vintage light weights, but luckily they aren't that sought after either. Except for the Featherweight most of them are just an old sewing machine. An aluminium 185K would be exceptionally sturdy, like the cast iron 99, just less weight. Crestas and Favtas are not common at all, I have only seen a single Cresta in my area so far. Interesting things turn up though.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »
Arrow, I have the Singer 185k and it is light-ish compared to the 201k, but I wouldn't say portable, it's still quite heavy to carry.

Mine is just like your picture, very pretty.  Not as smooth and silent as the 99k but I like it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 14:20:47 PM »
A couple of weeks a go I held a beige 201K23 in  my hand, case, accessories and all, and it was well within what I lift with out thinking much of it. I can't say that about carrying my cast iron 201K up a few stairs, and then down a few stairs. Then I came across proof that an aluminium 185K exist, and it should be even lighter than a 201K23. The unfortunate thing is that not all 185Ks are aluminium, some are cast iron. There is a hand crank 185K for sale here, asking about £30 for it. The problem is I need to add motor and lights, and seller can't guess how heavy it is, nor put it on a scale, and its' a long ride out of town just to see it. I probably shouldn't bother, someone looking for a hank crank can have it. I don't think many hand cranks shift owners these days?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 14:27:21 PM by arrow »

arrow

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 13:39:27 PM »
...Mine is just like your picture, very pretty.  Not as smooth and silent as the 99k but I like it...

I just read something on the 99, 66 and 185. There are a few things we need to check on these models if they are on the noisy side. One new factor I realised today (or have forgotten); the rolling part under the feed dogs! There is cam like action controlling the movment of the feed dogs, there is a round part under there moving back and forth, it actually is suppose to turn and roll. It's very often stuck, everything will work as normally but with more noise. If it's stuck for years it can wear down flat on the sides, oil, wiggle, spray can oil, teflon,....

Another thing is the position of the race and hook, if it's not set ideally the bobbin case will rattle more than it needs to do, I think it's the same for the 185. Then there's the bottom of the case, rubber feet or felt feet neeeds to be in good condition. Some have a complaint on the later belt driven Singer motors, there might be something you can do but I have yet to work on some of them. My 1955 beige 201 is nice, so is my 1934 99K.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 00:06:43 AM by arrow »