The Sewing Place

New jacket trend

Vezelay

New jacket trend
« on: September 12, 2018, 10:00:27 AM »
Apparently (first I've heard, but no surprise there) the oversize jacket is back - like this one - very 90's and, bearing in mind that Lori would look good in a dishcloth, I thoroughly approve of the trend! Although I'm definitely not buying any patterns for the forseeable future, this one can go on my long list  ><. Hopefully it will still be in fashion and available by the time I've made a few dozen more of the unused patterns I already own  :|.

b15erk

Re: New jacket trend
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 10:05:30 AM »
Oh no!  I don't think I'll be taking that route.  I did it in the 90's and wasn't fond of it then.  I remember a black leather coat I had - ugh....

I'll pass on this one....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »
I have a few big jackets in the wardrobe- must dig them out. I still have some big jacket patterns too .... ditto.
I've got the September Burda mag and it has a big jacket pattern in plus sizes. I'm in two minds about this trend!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
Haha.   0_0I was just wondering who Lori was then I looked at the link.  Used to follow her blog ages ago and agree she'd look good in anything. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 14:04:00 PM »

New from Stylearc.  Shudder.  It's fine for the Duchess of Sussex, who is a twig, but would look hideous on me even if I wanted to go back to the 90's.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 14:28:46 PM »
To me, they just look like normal jackets, as opposed to close fitting waisted jackets.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 15:59:18 PM »
Not for me... I don’t need anything to make me look bigger... I can do that all by myself!

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 16:15:39 PM »
To me, they just look like normal jackets, as opposed to close fitting waisted jackets.

Just normal jackets but too big!  Looks like the trousers are on the long side too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 19:11:22 PM »
When I was at my mum's last week I saw an old black wool jacket of mine in the wardrobe in my old room. It's exactly that shape. I remember passing it to my mum when it went out of fashion. It was oversize on me, not on her. She loved having a size 10 from Top Shop!
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 20:21:55 PM »
Whee. I saved my most wonderful jackets from that time frame and have been itching to give them a go again now that I've shrunk enough to fit them. One is just like that Stylearc version, except in a red, black and white tartan in rayon.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.