The Sewing Place

Cushion covers

mammafairy

Cushion covers
« on: September 12, 2018, 19:25:39 PM »
I find cushion covers an easy gift to personalise, does this mean it is cheating as my go to gift to make? I have just delivered another cushion cover to a friend's daughter, and realise that I must have almost everyone I know with one by now.
It is so easy to make them a good colour- Golden Wedding gift, ruby wedding gift, wedding gift, 100th birthday gift, almost any occasion.
I am feeling as if it is my get out of thinking version now, so, should I stop making them? What could I substitute?

Renegade Sewist

Re: Cushion covers
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 19:50:50 PM »
Table runners? Or if they particularly like some holiday a cover with that theme. Or a sport team, etc. Tote bags are well received, as we all carry something sometime.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 23:16:53 PM »
I think I would be quite touched if someone made me a cushion. If its nice for you to make and you can choose how much they can cost you in time and money (as in a little or a lot) then why not carry on.  ;) Its a lovely idea.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:08:56 AM »
I made a wall hanging for BrendaP in last years Secret Santa Swap and wondered whether she or anybody else would feel 'cheated' as we had a minimum spend of £15.

I dont believe she was anything less than happy with it even though it only 'cost' me my time and fabrics for my stash,
but I did make sure it matched her new sewing room which is where (or so I believe) it hangs?!

Personally I think home made stuff is so much nicer than stuff bought off the shelf.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Hummingbird

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 13:35:34 PM »
I have bought hardback notebooks (size of your choice) and made slip-on fabric covers for them as gifts. Lots of free tutorials online to find a method you like, and you can make them plain, embroidered, personalised, patchwork and out of stash or specially purchased fabric.

This is my favourite tutorial as it has a built in lining....I prefer bound notebooks with a spine rather than a spiral.
https://www.bloom-australia.com/bloomblog/2009/02/journal-cover-tutorial.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 13:38:38 PM by Hummingbird »

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 00:05:12 AM »
Good idea @Hummingbird. I have saved that tutorial for future use. Would make a lovely gift, as you say :D

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 17:47:23 PM »
I too made cushion covers for everyone, then moved on to doorstops, then fabric flower brooches, aprons and tote bags. Last year it was lace boxes (done on the embroidery machine) filled with home made chocs
Not sure what I am doing this year but the book covers look like a good idea
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 09:56:29 AM »
I made a wall hanging for BrendaP in last years Secret Santa Swap and wondered whether she or anybody else would feel 'cheated' as we had a minimum spend of £15.

The view as I sit at the computer.  0_0
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

If Imi had specially bought everything for this wall hanging it would have been rather more than £15.  It is also personalised in that she knew the colours I was planning for the new study.

BTW, both candle jar and the hanging ornament were secret santa gifts from previous years, but I know which one means the most.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
I was lucky Brenda as I had just finished

Pink

and had the silver Fairy frost fabric left from the Christmas Block Swap the year before.

Im glad you like it and so pleased it goes well with the room.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again