The Sewing Place

Shopping in Somerset

BrendaP

Shopping in Somerset
« on: September 21, 2018, 18:45:32 PM »
A week in Somerset; mostly out on the Levels, but I made it my duty to investigate what sewing related shops there might be in that area.

My shopping list:
1, Next month I am leading a workshop at craft club making Christmas tree fairies, so bits of lace and bling needed.
2, Dark side stuff; no project planned and with a very good shop locally nothing needed unless it was really cheap.
3, Light side stuff; again nothing planned, just whatever might take my fancy.
4, A couple of months ago a TSF newby in Australia wrote about freeform knitting (she called it scumbling but to me that a painting technique) and I have started doing bits of it for a long-term project and I need lots of different greens and yellows in 4 ply or not too thick DK.

What I found:
In Glastonbury there's Sew Over the Moon.  There's a fairly good range of knitting yarns but nearly all DK, a modest range of P&Q fabrics, lots of ribbons, laces and blingy bits, a good range of shiny/sparkly fabric (it is Glastonbury) but very little in the way of 'dressmaking' fabric.  I bought a ball of  :wool: and a couple of bits of sparkly silver fabric from the remnant bin.

In Cheddar I found Time Out,  a lovely shop with an excellent range of haberdashery including some upholstery bits, embroidery threads, a few bits of cardmaking stuff, buttons in tubes, a smallish range of P&Q fabrics and a good range of knitting yarns.  I bought two more  :wool:  :wool:

In Wells I found Mandy Wools with an excellent range of yarns plus all the habby associated with knitting/crochet including buttons in tubes.  I came away with :wool: :wool: :wool: :wool: :wool: :wool: :wool: :wool: and a handful of gold and silver pipe cleaners.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 18:50:37 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

LeilaMay

Re: Shopping in Somerset
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 12:36:34 PM »
you may have "sew Vintage" in Wells then - ina little courtyard area near the bus station car park - very nice collection of P&Q fabrics, some wool, all sorts of sewing things and a collection of vintage machines dotted about the place to admire.
Address is: 38 Market St, Wells BA5 2DS

There's also "Wells Knitting Centre" - a fab collection of wool and then other associated stuff  :  5 Mill St, Wells BA5 2AS

How much longer are you in the area?

Leila  :)

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 13:34:16 PM »
You MUST MUST MUST go go to Midsommer Quilting, might even persuade you back to the Darkside!

If going by SatNav, avoid Tunnel Lane like the plague - The clue is in the name!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 13:36:44 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 15:20:25 PM »
you may have "sew Vintage" in Wells then - ina little courtyard area near the bus station car park - very nice collection of P&Q fabrics, some wool, all sorts of sewing things and a collection of vintage machines dotted about the place to admire.
Address is: 38 Market St, Wells BA5 2DS

There's also "Wells Knitting Centre" - a fab collection of wool and then other associated stuff  :  5 Mill St, Wells BA5 2AS

How much longer are you in the area?

Leila  :)

How did I miss that?  Probably because i had husband and dog in tow!
We're home now so too late.  :'(  Until next time.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 15:21:55 PM »
I'm so soory to have been 'late to the party' and missed you. I lose track of the folks I've actually SAID I live in Glastonbury to - next time for sure  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 15:26:26 PM »
You MUST MUST MUST go go to Midsommer Quilting,

Much further east than where we were staying.