The Sewing Place

Company to avoid.

Surest1tch

Company to avoid.
« on: September 13, 2018, 20:45:34 PM »
I've just read about a company called Fabric Wholesale Direct, the lady ordered blue denim and was sent black which was 6" short on the yardage. When she complained she was told it must have been stretched by the cutter and she could have a 15% refund. Definitely one to avoid I would have said unless anyone knows different.

BrendaP

Re: Company to avoid.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 22:16:18 PM »
Trade Descriptions Act - not as described.  100% refund including postage or full replacement.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:08:49 AM »
I suppose the colour changed in the post

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
When I ordered from Doughtys and the piece left was about 3cm too short they phoned and asked me if I still wanted it and knocked a reasonable amount off the price too.
Life's too short for ironing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 17:41:48 PM »
When I ordered from Doughtys and the piece left was about 3cm too short they phoned and asked me if I still wanted it and knocked a reasonable amount off the price too.
I have had this from Croft Mill as well, they could have just sent it and I probably wouldn't have noticed that it was 5cm short.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 17:03:36 PM »
This is helpful to know and I'm really glad that @sewmuchmore and @Ploshkin mentioned their experiences too. It's the @Surest1tch experience that makes so many people wary of online fabric buying. We can all make mistakes but it's the seller's response that makes it an issue or a recommendation for future business.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 17:39:58 PM »

I've had that with the Cotton Patch too.

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 21:00:41 PM »
I got some fabric on ebay from a lady who was selliing it for a relative. However she was just was a bit 'dizzy', knew nothing about fabric or even how to measure it anything like accurately and so when I pointed out the actual measurement of the fabric she sent was not what it said in the listing she was happy to negotiate a new price - or I could have sent it back. I'm sure it was a genuine mistake. I wonder if the curtains in her house are all funny lengths!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde