The Sewing Place

Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition - sewing for cooler temperatures

Manuela

@SewRuthieSews, I can see that fabric as a gored midi skirt... That would brighten up any dull day in winter and would go well with a knit top or sweater and a pair of boots.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:04:07 PM by Manuela »

SewRuthieSews

@SewRuthieSews, I can see that fabric as a gored midi skirt... That would brighten up any dull day in winter and would go well with a knit top or sweater and a pair of boots.
I noticed Janet has the same fabric in her picture on page 2.
I have 2 metres of it which should be sufficient for a midi skirt.

I'm not completely fixed yet on what fabric I want to sew for this contest. I have a few choices, but want to make a garment I really want to wear not just something that meets the rules.

toileandtrouble

Got the skirt cut out. This is a pattern I wanted to tackle for quite a while. It is Old New Look, published by the English Pattern Company, Bradford, presumably before they were taken over. 1994, so vintage, like me. I have made the straight skirt before but want to try the back pleated version.  I have reduced the length of the pleats quite a lot, mid calf is not a good length for me,
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

sewmuchmore

@SewRuthieSews I have it in blue as well, mine is earmarked for a kilt. To start with though I am going to make a skirt with some patchwork tartan corduroy I have. There is a pattern repeat down and across but I am struggling to match across with it having a nap, I cannot flip the pattern pieces. Hoping, as it is patchwork, my seams won't be too obvious a mismatch, we will see.
Second project is a cape with the houndtooth, I will probably go for knee length with a hood.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

SewRuthieSews

I decided I would use this fabric from my stash. Hopefully it is sufficiently plaidy to count?

and sew a knit top using a printed abstract check. I think it looks quite good when made up.

I used the knit top with 3/4 sleeves from New Look 6735.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 16:04:02 PM by SewRuthieSews »

toileandtrouble

Got the back of the skirt put together.  You probably can't see it clearly, but I have matched the pattern -vertically.  There was not enough fabric to move the whole thing up 5cm, those pleats are really greedy!
I am wondering if I should have gone with matching horizontally and let the pleats take the blame for any misalignment.
 Having said that, the pleat distance is just enough to bring the pattern back together.  I wonder if fabric and pattern designers work on a module measurement, like builders?
Just one line that is a tiny bit out, but that is due to the pleat fold underneath and I'm not going to unpick any more.
Because the fabric is prone to fraying, I gave the pleat section its own lining.  I'll put the lining in for the rest when I've worked it out.  Oh, and there was just enough fabric in the scraps to cut a pocket for the right hand side.

toileandtrouble

And the reason you can't see it -at all, is that I forgot to attach the picture.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Stitches

Got some tartan fabric on saturday hoping to do a jacket

BrendaP

My tartan shirt is finished and I've been wearing it all day (except for when I was in the swimming pool!).

The photo's not great but I am happy with the shirt.
McCalls 6035 view C but with proper cuffs and placket rather than turned back to 3/4 length with a tab.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

Beautifully matched too!

sewmuchmore

@BrendaP  Lovely colour, really suits you.

Afraid I am getting no were fast with my tartan due to demands of The Diva who needs another dance costume for her next competition.

Janet

toileandtrouble

Very nearly finished the skirt but it is a total disaster. Not even a dog's dinner, more of a Kennel Club Banquet. 
Should definitely have started to match up the pleats with the back horizontally.  Main trouble was starting out to get the main body sections and then fiddle the layout to get the pleats section out of the remainder.  Every single thing that could go wrong did, including dropping the sewing needle, trying to stop it on the way down, so catching my nail and nicking the edge.  Second side of the zip was slightly out, carefully unpicked it and moved it the fraction needed - the wrong way.
I will post a picture to show I actually got to the end, but no way can it be entered. May wear it for housework if we have a cold winter.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 13:02:14 PM by toileandtrouble »

sewmuchmore

Finished. Managed to match the back seam and pockets on back and front but couldn't match the side seams as well as back. The front is cut on the fold to incorporate the pleat. If I had thought a bit harder I should have cut with a centre seam (matched) and then do the pleat as an underlay. As it was the skirt took 2 metres and would normally take 1 1/4.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:29:29 PM by Manuela »

Janet

Tamnymore

Fantastic @sewmuchmore . Great fabric. I've finished my varuna wool tartan silk combo top too. Must get DH to do a photo.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

ambro0

@sewmuchmore

I think your skirt looks great! Congratulations on matching the fabric where you could. I really like the exposed zipper - it's not something that I've ever done so I am in awe!!
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU