The Sewing Place

Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition - sewing for cooler temperatures

Manuela

One out of the blue, to celebrate to upcoming arrival of the cooler season (at least in the northern hemisphere).

Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition

1. You shall make a minimum of one garment - it can be anything, top, dress, skirt, jumpsuit, trousers....
2. If you want to make more than one entry, feel free to do so, but submit them in separate posts
3. Please clearly indicate what pattern you used and what, if any, changes you made
4. You don't need to use a commercial pattern, self drafted is fine
5. Sewing starts on October 1st , you can prepare & fit the pattern and cut before that date
6. Sewing finishes on November 15th , please post pictures by November 20th
7. You need to use plaids, tartans, checks or gingham as the main fabric of your garment
8. Your entry here can also be included in your SWKOP

:vintage:   Happy sewing  :fabric:   

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:06:15 AM by Manuela »

Tamnymore

Ooooh goody. I lurve tartan. I shall do an inspection of my tartan stash to see which one(s) I can use.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

doesntworkonwood

Sounds like a plan! I need some new pyjama bottoms, and I also would like a new flannel shirt. Just need to find the perfect fabric first!

Sewingsue

Sew Today October 2018
Essential Tips for Sewing Checks and Tartans
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

sewmuchmore

B****r! I have just cut out my tartan skirt for the red comp but not sure I will get it done by deadline. I should have waited  :'( :'(
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

HenriettaMaria

Sew Today October 2018
Essential Tips for Sewing Checks and Tartans

I saw this and thought, "That looks familiar".  I keep useful articles on techniques and how-to and sure enough, it's an exact reprint of the same article, with only the garment picture changed, that they published maybe four or five years ago.  Some things bear repeating, I suppose, but it does make one wonder what one is paying one's subscription for!

Tamnymore

That's interesting. There's been a
discussion about the value of the sew direct offering on another thread. One of the reasons I cancelled was because I saw an article repeated verbatim. I've probably seen this one first time round!   

SewRuthieSews

Maybe this year I should cut into that taupe and cadet blue tartan? I've improved my pattern patching skills so could probably handle it.

Renegade Sewist

Maybe. I have several assorted tartans in brown & blacks, bought many moons ago -2007- knowing it would be several years before they would be sewn as I continued to accumulate fabrics that worked together. Think I'm there now.

Who am I kidding? Sounds good but highly unlikely for me anytime soon.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

B****r! I have just cut out my tartan skirt for the red comp but not sure I will get it done by deadline. I should have waited  :'( :'(

You can use it as your entry. I wanted to put up the new competition a week or so ago, but work got in the way. Hence, I'm in a very lenient mood  ;)

Manuela

Maybe this year I should cut into that taupe and cadet blue tartan? I've improved my pattern patching skills so could probably handle it.

Be brave @SewRuthieSews and do it. Take your time for cutting, identify which part of the tartan you want to use at centre back and centre front first, the cut it open (in single layers). Hand baste each seam before you sew it, and you'll have it perfectly matched.

SewRuthieSews

It does annoy me a great deal when I see RTW with terribly mismatched checks.

If I decide that's a bridge too far (and I need to check the time frame) I have some cotton tartan fabric which I was planning to use for PJ pants which would be simpler!

Tamnymore

Although @Manuela's in a lenient mood will she be lenient with us if our pattern matching isn't perfect?  ;)

If you combine tartan with other fabrics you might not have to do any pattern matching at all. I'm going to make an asymmetric Tiltonesque top, with lots of pieces, from a combination of a tartan silk dupion remnant and some flowery Liberty varuna wool. Both fabrics have a predominant red and black colourway. The tartan was a 2m by 50cm remnant and the Liberty fabric comes from a combination of a charity shop skirt and a pair of trousers which I made too small ( :angry: ) but couldn't bear to dispose of. Let's see if my no pattern matching theory works!  0_0

SewRuthieSews

You can also avoid pattern matching if you have some panels cut on the bias or very strangely shaped pattern pieces like this skirt.

I overdyed it navy some time after I'd made it and then it was more of a textured navy than a check.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 23:35:11 PM by SewRuthieSews »

UttaRetch

Makes my eyes twitch.  0_0