The Sewing Place

Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition - sewing for cooler temperatures

Manuela

@Francesca, maybe your SWAKOP needs a bit of tartan  ;)

sewmuchmore

Looked at my stash and I have some more tartan and checked fabric so I am in. Does the second picture qualify as checked?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

I don't know, but it's gorgeous!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

Looked at my stash and I have some more tartan and checked fabric so I am in. Does the second picture qualify as checked?

Yes, it does @sewmuchmore  :)
It’s a gorgeous hounstooth, love the colours.

BrendaP

If you do make this
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
remember to pattern match the lapels!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

2m of this arrived today  0_0

I'm thinking of a hack on McCalls 6035  which I've made a couple of times and the fit is good on me.

I want to cut the back panel on the bias so as to keep it symetrical but the pattern repeat of the fabric is 16cm lengthways and nearly 17cm widthways  -<  I wonder what it will be like after pre-washing?  If it evens up a bit it will be OK but if it goes in the opposite direction I'll have to re-think.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

toileandtrouble

Think I can do this (haven't sewn much since last year when I didn't finish the red outfit I was going to take on the holiday, tried to finish the cardigan/jacket for last  night, but failed. Have started again and made the blind waiting since last November, so..)
I was intending to make some warm skirts anyway.  I have two options:   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Both need a lot of alterations to the patterns.
Tried pressing in the pleats in the brown wool but when I held it up they opened out like a bell tent - not what I need.  The black and white pressed beautifully and stays flat, so I'm going with that.
Hopefully there will be pictures.
Ooh, pictures!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

After pre-washing the difference in pattern repeat width was more noticeable so I've gone with a CB seam instead.

I did the cutting out yesterday and it took ages making sure that all the hems were at the same level. and also cutting one layer and a time and repeating ot get duplicate copies of everything; the fabric is reversable so one of each piece is flipped over.

I've got most of it sewn together today, only the cuffs and buttonholes left to do.

Tamnymore

Looks good @BrendaP . I have my tartan and flowery varuna wool combo ready to roll!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

2m of this arrived today  0_0

Oh! You bought the Clan Halen tartan!!!***

***For the uninformed, years ago when I frequented the Highland Games circuit in California a group of younger folks (I was one then.) had gathered together to form their own Clan, Clan Halen. Someone had found a bolt of tartan in hot pink and black-who could resist? There were kilts, sashes and tams made from it. When they paraded the grounds one of the bigger fellows had a boombox on his shoulder blasting Van Halen. They were a lot of fun to hang out with. They ran out of the fabric.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:13:03 AM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Tamnymore

I always find American and Canadian tartans amazing. On a trip to Nova Scotia a few years ago I came back with a few pieces. Nova Scotia seemed more Scottish than Scotand (bagpipes anyone?) - sort of 'Gaelier than thou'  0_0
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

I always find American and Canadian tartans amazing. On a trip to Nova Scotia a few years ago I came back with a few pieces. Nova Scotia seemed more Scottish than Scotand (bagpipes anyone?) - sort of 'Gaelier than thou'  0_0

I attribute it in part to the movies "Braveheart" and "Rob Roy". Let's not leave out "Outlander."  :toast: All the Renaissance Faires here are overrun with Scots since then. And Pirates...thank Johnny Depp for that. Sometimes it's Scot Pirates. Or Steampunk Scot Air Pirates. Pass the tartan please...

Someone in the neighborhood used to play pipes. When I lived in the Oakland hills the bagpipe music would waft through the valleys.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 19:41:22 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

I'm away from home at the moment, but keep remembering different tartan or similar fabrics I have in the cupboard.
One was brown and pink hounds tooth embroidered with turquoise flowers. Top right below.
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2017/12/fabric-and-sewing-goodies-for-2018.html

I can't quite imagine what to sew with it though! https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OJWehEJuiHY/WkaFLs1t_mI/AAAAAAAAKos/DmvKWarms08pVOFOrVl5C1xu07eKejoLQCLcBGAs/s1600/FabricGoodies29Dec.JPG
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:31:11 AM by Acorn »

toileandtrouble

Need a break to turn the second reference into a link!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

Done!   ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.